If you want to see change on an issue, do something about it.

That’s the philosophy of NFL Hall of Fame running back, Jim Brown. During an interview at the premiere of “Hard Knocks,” Brown was very straightforward when asked about the kneeling controversy.

“I’ll never kneel and I will always respect the flag,” said Brown.

Many players in the NFL have started kneeling during the national anthem to protest racial inequality and police brutality. However, Brown believes kneeling is not the answer.

“I am not going to denigrate my flag and I’m going to stand for the national anthem,” Brown said. “I’m fighting with all of my strength to make it a better country, but I don’t think that’s the issue. Because what is the top side? Are you not going to stand up? This is our country, man.”

Watch:

Although Brown does not personally believe kneeling is the right way to combat social issues, he says he respects others’ right to do so.

“Well, if you take the bottom line, what are we talking about?“ Brown said. ”We’re talking about freedom to express one’s self, and if you don’t break any rules then you have that particular right.”

Brown is an advocate for working to fix problems instead of just speaking out about them. The former NFL player also gave his comments on the issue to The Post Game in 2017.

“I’m going to give you the real deal: I’m an American,” Brown said. “I don’t desecrate my flag and my national anthem. I’m not gonna do anything against the flag and national anthem. I’m going to work within those situations. But this is my country, and I’ll work out the problems, but I’ll do it in an intelligent manner.”

Brown has been a leader in the civil rights movement and has been outspoken on his struggles with racial inequality in the NFL.

1. James Higginbotham

August 9, 2018 at 6:35 am

GOOD FOR BROWN.
    more former NFL players need TO STEP UP AND BE COUNTED.

• Melba

August 9, 2018 at 4:58 pm

STAND UP AND BE COUNTED!! Kudos to Jim Brown. He’s got his head on straight and his priorities in order!!

2. Rick J Kent

August 9, 2018 at 7:06 am

A class act

• Bob Abrams

August 10, 2018 at 12:31 am

….and the very best of all time!
      I don’t even think he needed an offensive line.

3. Joseph Kempski

August 9, 2018 at 11:01 am

Spoken like a true patriot

4. Chuck

August 9, 2018 at 1:04 pm

Jim Brown was outspoken and “out there” on the Civil Rights platform long before these current players were even a glint in their pappy’s eye….and very probably before their grandpappy gave it a thought. Jim Brown also did his protesting on his OWN time and he was effective because of his fame as NFL’s greatest fullback and as an actor – hint, hint to the new NFL crop.

5. Mitch D.

August 9, 2018 at 4:24 pm

Unlike Jim Brown, most of these current “kneelers” can’t be found anywhere in public working for their supposed “causes” if the cameras aren’t focused on them.

6. N

August 9, 2018 at 11:06 pm

Get off the corrupted to the core NAZI Demoncrat Communist plantation treasonous party (RINOs too!!! You know who you are!, So Get ready to lose your seats) and on the Trump train to success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Jeremiah Rasmussen

August 9, 2018 at 11:36 pm

Instead of girly-boy cheerleaders and millennial-lost football players, this man is what the NFL used to be all about. The weenies in the league now would be eaten alive by the real men who played football for small paychecks, their team and teammates, and the love of the game, instead of for the chance to promote themselves and their image, and more and more money.

8. Bobby

August 10, 2018 at 1:32 am

I have been down the street and around the corner and I have to say, I have a lot of respect for Jim Brown, he’s capable of making decisions without influence whatsoever. Jim Brown doesn’t follow anyone.