President Trump has accepted the resignation of Nikki Haley, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.

The announcement was made in an Oval Office send-off Tuesday. The president said Haley will leave her top diplomatic post by the end of the year.

Trump accepted the former South Carolina governor’s resignation after the pair discussed her departure during a White House visit last week.

Her resignation letter, dated for Oct. 3, was shared online soon after the announcement Tuesday. Here it is below:

Oct. 3, 2018

Dear Mr. President:

It has been an immense honor to serve our country in your Administration. I cannot thank you enough for giving me this opportunity.

You will recall that when you offered me the position of United States Ambassador to the United Nations in November 2016, I accepted the offer based on some conditions. Those conditions included serving in your Cabinet and on the National Security Council and being free to speak my mind on the issues of the day. You made those commitments and you have absolutely kept them all. For that too, I will always be grateful.

We achieved great successes at the U.N. We passed the toughest sanctions against any country in a generation, pressuring North Korea toward denuclearization. We passed an arms embargo on South Sudan that will help reduce violence and hopefully bring peace to that troubled country.

We stood up for our ally Israel and began to roll back the U.N.’s relentless bias against her. We reformed U.N. operations and saved over $1.3 billion. We spoke out resolutely against dictatorships in Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba, and yes, Russia. Through it all, we stood strong for American values and interests, always placing America first. I am proud of our record.

As a strong supporter of term limits, I have long believed that rotation in office benefits the public. Between the U.N. Ambassadorship and serving in the South Carolina Governorship and General Assembly, I have been in public office for fourteen straight years. As a businessman, I expect you will appreciate my sense that returning from government to the private sector is not a step down but a step up.

Accordingly, I am resigning my position. To give you time to select a replacement, and to give the Senate time to consider your selection, I am prepared to continue to serve until January 2019.

At that point, I will once again become a private citizen. I expect to continue to speak out from time to time on important public policy matters, but I will surely not be a candidate for any office in 2020. As a private citizen, I look forward to supporting your re-election as president, and supporting the policies that will continue to move our great country toward even greater heights.

With best wishes and deep gratitude,

Nikki Haley

PERFECTLY FITTING

• Ariel

October 10, 2018 at 2:35 am

My sentiments exactly.

2. Stephen Russell

October 9, 2018 at 11:41 pm

Done my Time, Time to move on am here for Consulting IF warranted on Emergency basis.
    Thanks.
    Blessings Nikki.

3. Norman E Caudle

October 9, 2018 at 11:41 pm

Nikki, we will forever be appreciative of everything you have done to help make America great-er again. Thank you for your service. It will be a very very hard task to find someone of your strength and deminor to stand up against all the bad in this world like you have done. Again THANK YOU!!

4. Frederick W. Harden III

October 9, 2018 at 11:41 pm

Johns Hopkins and Fairfield Universities

Definitely a class act by a classy lady! I also do respectfully believe that at some time in the not too distant future Nikki Haley will also pursue another quest in politics possibly as a U.S. Senator or as a VP candidate on a future GOP presidential/vice presidential ticket.

Fred Harden III aka “GreyHairandGreyMatter”

5. Sim

October 9, 2018 at 11:48 pm

Nikki, as one private Citizen to another, I’d like to say “THANK YOU” for all the “Service” at the expense of your personal life, and give you a big hug.

So here it is “HUG”.

6. carolyn webb

October 9, 2018 at 11:49 pm

I CLASSY WOMAN ,THAT WILL BE MISSED . SHE HAS BE A GREAT ACCESS TO OUR GOVERMENT. THANK YOU !

7. Nifongnation

October 9, 2018 at 11:52 pm

A true. Patriot

8. Adrienne Wells

October 9, 2018 at 11:53 pm

There couldn’t be one finer than you. Thank you for the excellent job you did for our Country and we wish you the very best in the future. You will be sorely missed.

9. Brian

October 10, 2018 at 12:04 am

Total class and love …. thank you Nikki , you have served the US well in such a difficult and in my opinion horrible setting – the UN.

10. John Lozinski

October 10, 2018 at 12:05 am

She did a fantastic job now someone has offered her a 7 digit step up income GOOD FOR HER

11. Moracle

October 10, 2018 at 12:14 am

Public Service is for as long as you want it….

FAMILIES ARE FOREVER…!!!

12. Jay N. Boatwright

October 10, 2018 at 12:22 am

Please be president before Kamala Harris!

13. Scott

October 10, 2018 at 12:41 am

Nothing but Class from Nikky. America appreciate your service to our country!

14. Alice

October 10, 2018 at 12:45 am

THANK YOU Nikki!!!! You’ve done a GREAT Service for our country……..

15. mary lawrence

October 10, 2018 at 12:47 am

Such a fantastic representative for our great country . You did a great job as the Governor of SC and Ambassador to UN. Thank you! God bless you.

16. Pearl Lemdal

October 10, 2018 at 1:58 am

Smart and very professional.

17. Jim Whitney

October 10, 2018 at 2:05 am

As a Canadian, I have always supported the Republican party for their actions and governing policies. I have admired the many people who have been placed in high level positions within your Government , and although in some cases I have not always agreed to policies made, I have still respected those choices. Nikki Haley is without a doubt the type of person that makes the Republican party the reason for my support. She is a very intelligent woman, one your government should be proud of. Her term as representative to the United Nations is one of honor and she has served that position well. I wish her continued success in her life and I for one and sad to see her go.

18. Fisheadnj

October 10, 2018 at 2:46 am

I see Ms Haley running for the SC senaye seat down the road. After Trumps second term I see the Repubs nominating her for POTUS. If she plays her catds right she could well be our first female president.

• Ruth Bosic

October 10, 2018 at 4:25 am

I would so vote for her in 2024. A true Patriot.

• SandyT

October 10, 2018 at 5:09 am

I like Nikki Haley, I really do, and she has done a great job in the U.N. working in Pres. Trump’s administration, but I cringe every time I see someone mention Nikki as a possible future candidate for president. As an older American, lifelong conservative Republican, I learned in school about the Constitution and its requirements for the presidency. Obama was never constitutionally eligible! One MUST be born on U.S. soil to parents who are themselves, citizens. Obama could have been born in the White House and still wouldn’t be eligible because his father was not a citizen. Only his mother was. Nikki Haley was born in South Carolina, but her parents were from India and had not lived in the U.S. long enough to have become citizens before Nikki was born, and her citizenship comes from the 14th Amendment, but she is not a natural born citizen because her parents were not citizens. Please, we can’t allow an ineligible candidate on our side because if we do it, too, there is no telling who the left will try to run next. Kamala Harris is in the same situation. She was born in California, but her parents were not citizens. Rubio and Jindal are also ineligible, no citizen parents. Cruz was born in Canada and only his mother was a citizen, but even if both of his parents had been citizens, he would still have been born a “naturalized by congressional statute” citizen, not a natural born citizen. Pres. Trump’s children, 4 out of the 5 are not eligible, because their mothers, Ivana and Melania, were not yet citizens,when Don,Jr, Eric, Ivanka and Barron were born. BIRTH on U.S. soil + citizen father + citizen mother = natural born citizen, PERIOD!

• jillocity

October 10, 2018 at 10:17 am

She said in the letter that she had no intention of running for President in 2020. One could gather, from her desire to become once again a private citizen, that she also will not consider running for President at any other time. So your argument against her running for President is moot. Other than that, I agree that she has done a great job, representing America, and especially America first, at the UN, which is hardly filled with fans of America. She will be missed, but I know the President will have another person in mind for the job, who will do as well.

• Roger

October 10, 2018 at 6:43 pm

Ms. Haley would make a very fine POTUS compared especially to whom the Democrats have put forward!

• Roger

October 10, 2018 at 6:49 pm

Miss Sandy you need to READ THE US CONSTITUTION! THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT FOR A CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT PARENTS TO BE US CITIZENS! THE ONLY REQUIREMENT IS THE CANDIDATE TO BE A NATURAL BORN RESIDENT! You are the rest of the ignorant that think that it is requirement for a person to be a natural born citizen to have both parents to be US citizens is BALONEY!

19. Fran Stein

October 10, 2018 at 4:29 am

SO SORRY TO SEE YOU LEAVE THIS OFFICE. YOU DID A FABULOUS JOB. MADE ME SO PROUD. GOOD LUCK IN YOUR RETURN TO PRIVATE LIFE.

20. frank

October 10, 2018 at 5:01 am

Nikki, I think you did a great job. You really made your mark on the UN. You will be hard to replace. Good luck in your future endeavors. You will be missed.

21. Fabian Fazzari

October 10, 2018 at 5:29 am

Thank you Miss. Haley . As a Hispanic immigrant and proudly American Citizen I respect and honor all you have done for our great nation. I wish you the best of everything in your future endeavors. You are a Strong, well spoken and articulated classy lady. You have served our nation well.

God bless you and your family.

Sincerely,

Fabian Fazzari Sr.

22. Andre Alexsen

October 10, 2018 at 6:26 am

GOD BLESS YOU NIKKI AND AMERICA …AND GOD WILL PUT AN EVEN BETTER LEADER FOR THAT TIME IN ! WE WILL PREVAIL AMERICA !

23. Allen Yap

October 10, 2018 at 3:12 pm

A LEADER WHO WILL BE DIFFICULT TO REPLACE. MAY GOD BLESS YOU IN YOUR FUTURE UNDERTAKINGS. MAY YOU CONTINUE TO ENJOY A PEACEFUL FAMILY AND PRIVATE LIFE.

24. Allen Estay

October 10, 2018 at 4:25 pm

LOVE this Women , Trump made a EXCELLENT CHOICE , when he picked her !! Hate to see her leave , but she is dead right about term limits !!

25. Roger D Williams

October 10, 2018 at 6:01 pm

I was deeply saddened to hear the news of your resignation. You have done such a fantastic job of representing America! Just like Trump, you speak your mind and you don’t put up with all the B.S. that comes along with the job. But I wish you all the success you deserve in the private sector. You are a great American!

26. Carly D.

October 10, 2018 at 8:33 pm

I’ve always loved her & what she has done for this government. She has so much true Americanism in her & wish she could be in her office for years to come! You’re the best Nikki Haley & many blessings for all you’ve done! 🙂

27. Marinevet

October 11, 2018 at 3:06 am

She will be badly missed.

28. Carolyn Zuniga

October 11, 2018 at 5:07 am

Thank you for all your service and sacrifice. I just wish you wouldn’t leave yet. We need you too badly!

29. Jean Tompson

October 11, 2018 at 4:22 pm

Thank You for the Wonderful Job of representing Our Country..
    GOD BLESS You in whatever you will be doing..You will be missed..