There are so many contrived outrages in a given week, let alone a year, that it can be hard to recall any individual instance of outrage after it has already passed.

But the infamous Starbucks bathroom outrage was so phony, so absurd, and so disconnected from anything resembling logic or reason, that it deserves to be remembered.

In case you need a refresher course: a Starbucks manager at a location in Philadelphia came under heavy fire last spring after refusing restroom privileges to two non-customers.

The men, who happened to be black, asked to use the restroom but were informed that only paying customers were granted access to the facilities.

This was not a policy she invented on her own. At the time, many Starbucks locations enforced this rule, just as many other restaurants and stores enforce similar rules.

The men sat down and took up a table while refusing to purchase something. They were informed, again, that they would have to buy a coffee, or a snack, or anything else, if they wanted to sit at a table or use the bathroom. They continued to refuse. Finally, the manager called the police and reported them for trespassing.

The incident went viral. “Racism” was immediately assumed, despite a total lack of evidence to support the charge. The Starbucks CEO publicly threw the loyal employee under the bus. Finally, in their last act of corporate cowardice, Starbucks reversed their restroom policy and announced that anyone, even non-customers, could sit in their restaurants and use their bathrooms.

Fast forward a few months. Certain Starbucks locations, less than a year after announcing this enlightened new restroom philosophy, now must install special disposal boxes for used heroin needles. They’ll also be removing regular trashcans from some bathrooms after employees expressed concern about getting pricked with needles while changing out the bags.

There have been reports of condoms, alcohol bottles, and blood stains on the floors. Indeed, this bathroom free-for-all has made bathrooms ironically less accessible as some Starbucks restaurants have had to close their stalls for extended periods due to, says the New York Post, “prolonged cleaning.”

It may be fairly pointed out that Starbucks probably had many of these problems even before the new policy. Yes, and that’s exactly the point. That’s why the policy existed in the first place. A spacious, private, single-stall bathroom at a Starbucks in an urban area is an attractive place for drug addicts, drunks, vagrants, and other assorted characters.

Most businesses are not interested in becoming de facto homeless shelters or halfway homes. Historically, that’s why they reserve their bathrooms and their tables for people who are actually interested in purchasing their products. It’s not a fail-proof plan, but it’s relatively effective. There’s a reason why these needle disposal boxes only became necessary after they changed the policy.

So, what have we learned here? It’s likely that the suits at Starbucks have learned exactly zilch. The rest of us, though, have again discovered that caving to the unthinking, outraged masses will profit you nothing in the end.

If you abandon a thoughtful, well-reasoned path just because a bunch of imbeciles are shouting some word that ends with -ist or -phobic, you will ultimately pay a much higher price than whatever price the imbeciles may have been able to extract.

You’ll wind up shamed and embarrassed, with blood stains on your floor and heroin needles in your trashcan. But at least no one will call you a racist.

1. John

January 10, 2019 at 10:21 pm

People’s disgusting, dangerous habits will never be controlled. Change must begin with the individual. Many times help is available but the will to change is a difficult, personal decision.

• richard smith

January 12, 2019 at 8:35 pm

Very true John, but how does this apply to Star Bucks having to give in to this kind of pressure and now they have an even greater set of problems..

2. Carrie Rae Hoffert

January 10, 2019 at 10:58 pm

When they announced that policy I STOPPED buying my hazlenut latte at Starbucks! It was only a matter of time until this type of garbage occurred and I did not want to be in danger with this type of person using Starbucks for their seedy purposes. I haven’t been in a TARGET in 3 years either, because of their dressing room and bathroom policies! I can shop elsewhere easily with much greater safety!

3. John Castro

January 10, 2019 at 11:28 pm

I could care less about Starbucks and their policies….They Suck!.

• Mary

January 11, 2019 at 2:30 pm

Agree.

4. MICHAEL MCPOLAND

January 11, 2019 at 12:37 am

I always shit/piss before I go out. Don’t want to go to “public restrooms”. But what do you expect when you open the door to every punk doper?

5. Richard R. Pope

January 11, 2019 at 12:42 am

. . . . I have never shopped at nor will I ever shop at a communist institution such as starbucks. I have also stopped shopping at target since they decided to allow the freaks to have access to little girls. The communists aka democrats and their freaks need to be rounded up and put in GITMO for the rest of their miserable lives. Enough is enough!!
    . . . . I am a retired Auto Technician that is living on Social Security Disability. I also served in the AF but my disability is not service connected. I am trying to raise the money for me to be able to move back to Texas. I was born there. I am concerned that I may not be able to survive another Wisconsin winter. Here is the link to my GoFundMe page. Please help me out.
    America: Love it or Leave it!
    GOD Bless and GOD Help us,
    rich!

6. Joe

January 11, 2019 at 12:50 am

I hope every bum pisses on the floor in the restaurant

7. Joy DB

January 11, 2019 at 2:34 am

I wonder if CEO Howard Schultz has ever had to use a restroom in one of his stores that’s located in a questionable area…. Starbuck’s had a LOT of bad karma and kickback from their ridiculous “Sensitivity Training” day for which they closed all North American Starbuck’s locations. Hope they lost a bundle! Couldn’t happen to a more clueless – but wealthy – corporation!!

8. James

January 11, 2019 at 7:31 am

this is INSANITY RUN AMOK.