On “Jimmy Kimmel Live!” Thursday, entertainment mogul Kanye West described his decision to openly express his support for Donald Trump, which he said required him to have the confidence to stand up against massive backlash from liberals, media, and the hip-hop community, who tried to promote the idea that all African-Americans must vote Democrat.

“As a musician, African-American, guy out in Hollywood, all these different things, everyone around me tried to pick my candidate for me,” West told Kimmel when asked about his decision to support Trump. “And then told me every time I said I liked Trump that I couldn’t say it out loud or my career would be over, I’d get kicked out of the black community — because blacks, we’re supposed to have a monolithic thought … we can only be Democrats and all.”

West said that after he was hospitalized, he came out lacking confidence and that it took about a year and half to finally muster the courage to openly express his opinion on Trump, knowing that the backlash would be overwhelming.

Rather than being about politics, he said, endorsing Trump “represented overcoming fear and doing what you felt no matter what anyone said and saying you can’t bully me — liberals can’t bully me, news can’t bully me, the hip-hop community, they can’t bully me — because at that point if I’m not free to be me, I’m no longer Ye.”

He added that he believed modern education keeps us all too focused on the past. “We get too caught up in the past and what everyone’s saying and what everyone’s tweeting. And sometimes you just have to be fearless enough to break the f**king simulation,” he said.

He ultimately challenged Kimmel and his audience to “try love” rather than hate. “When I see people just even … go at the president, it’s like, why not try love?” he said.

“For one person to stand up against all odds and just hug somebody the way that Alice Johnson [whom Trump granted clemency] hugged her family when she got out of jail. That one by one by one, we can defuse this nuclear bomb of hate that we’re in as a society by thinking of everyone as our family.”

1. Dean Perry

August 11, 2018 at 3:39 am

So why AREN’T blacks rushing to join the GOP???????

• Ed

August 11, 2018 at 4:10 am

Lack of self confidence. Fear of the unknown. Fear of the ‘hood. Fear, fear, fear.

• Michael

August 11, 2018 at 4:22 am

Because many of them have been brainwashed by idiots like you. But for the record, plenty of them are. Guess you missed the recent revelation about how Trump’s support among black Americans has doubled from last year.

• JACK Scarpon

August 11, 2018 at 5:08 am

who say they are not?????

• Sharon Steiner

August 11, 2018 at 5:18 am

dean, how do you know they are’nt ????? snowflake

• mike dar

August 11, 2018 at 11:44 am

Trump has a higher polling among Blacks and climbing to set a record. The last ‘rush was in Johnson’s time where it went from >< based on the social programs.
      Before it was in the 30's with social programs(food essentially, people were starving, it was a very small entitlement amount per person) with Blacks being 75% for Reps then flipping to 75% Dem/FDR who was one of the biggest racists in office, lol.
      So Trump has doubled his support by Blacks… but social net programs still swoon too many Blacks.

• Steward

August 11, 2018 at 3:25 pm

Pay attention. They are. Maybe not all.

2. Peter

August 11, 2018 at 3:48 am

They don’t have to mock her she does a good job of that herself.

3. Joe

August 11, 2018 at 3:54 am

What Kanye is saying is to try the concept of love replacing hate so we can overcome as a society and move on.

4. Radio Nut

August 11, 2018 at 4:08 am

The families are being torn apart at the border because the parents have broken the law. So if you murder your neighbor, do you want your children to be imprisoned along side you?

5. Sharron

August 11, 2018 at 4:19 am

Black support doubled in a year… it’s coming!

6. Dx

August 11, 2018 at 4:27 am

I thought Kimmel changed the name of his show to: “Piece of Shit Live”

7. Michael J McBride

August 11, 2018 at 4:53 am

If only more minorities and working poor would open their eyes and ears they would see Democrats just want to enslave them by making them dependent on the government

8. Richard R Lett

August 11, 2018 at 6:56 am

I’m surprised Kimmel didn’t start crying.

9. Stephen Russell

August 11, 2018 at 2:39 pm

Kimmel is the old school slave minded Leftist, Narrow minded to the Core

10. krznby

August 11, 2018 at 2:42 pm

Kimmel is a POS…..He isn’t worth watching but, I am glad he had Kanye on and Kanye let him know the truth….the Blacks are definitely coming along to the Trump side…but only the smart ones….the ones that like the “free shit” are still hanging with the Dimwits….

11. Justice

August 11, 2018 at 5:49 pm

So, right at the end of the video, shithead Kimmel out and out lies about Trump ripping families apart…..This is exactly what the idiots of this country who think this way are doing and acting like……I’m telling you, Obama started that particular thing at our borders, and why doesn’t anybody say that on their slanted left shows?
    He DOES care, and it’s all on him to try and fix it, with no help whatsoever.

12. Kamkoz

August 11, 2018 at 11:16 pm

You can lead a horse to water…. But you can’t make them become a decent human being by voicing the truth if they just want the ratings.