Willie Nelson has gotten involved in the increasingly tight senatorial race between Republican incumbent Ted Cruz and Democrat Beto O’Rourke in the great state of Texas — and some of his fans are letting him know how they feel about it.

On Wednesday, the 85-year-old musician announced that he had agreed to headline an upcoming rally for the Democratic senatorial hopeful.

Posted by Willie Nelson on Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Fans have since been sharing their opinions of the move on his Facebook page. As Houston’s ABC 13 reports, his decision to back Beto has been unsurprisingly polarizing: “While some people told Willie he needs to stay out of politics, others threw insults at the music legend. Still, some others applauded Willie’s contribution to the 2018 campaign.”

A few examples of Facebook posts from very disappointed fans, who had a consistent message: “Goodbye, Willie”:

–Goodbye Willie, I don’t support socialist commies! You’re not going to advertise on my FB page either. Like we say in Texas, Now Git!

–I agree, really thought Willie had more sense than this. Of course Beto want to legalize Marijuana! Lol

–Good bye Willie…you are not on the right side.. take a look around you and do the right thing…I always thought you were a patriot…wow what a let down. You would pick a socialist agenda and an Anti American fellow like BETO, shame on you.

–That’s it , I’m done . What a disappointment.

–Willie you just lost over half of your fans by getting involved in politics!! Fan no more!! I cannot believe you support open borders and gun control!! You have smoked too much dope! I guess that is what you and Beta have in common!

–I knew you were a liberal in your personal beliefs. That was obvious, but to each their own. But you had to take it to the public. Just when I thought you were smarter than that…I find you are not…Such a shame to get on the showboat. You just lost some of your I am above it all.

Others were thrilled to hear the iconic singer was backing Beto:

–I have always known you you were a good, patriotic, inclusive man, Mr. Nelson and this just proves it further. I am now increasing my weekly donation to Congressman (and soon-to-be Senator) O’Rourke to $4.20, in your honor, sir. Don’t mess with Texas, don’t mess with Willie, and Viva Beto!

Others pointed out that it shouldn’t come as a surprise that Willie leans left:

–I think it’s hilarious that this comes as a surprise to some of you spurned “fans.”

–On what planet does anyone think Willie would have conservative leanings? How delusional can people be?

And still others suggested the backlash was a bit much:

–Amazing how one is suddenly considered ” anti-American” because they have a different viewpoint. He has made tremendous contributions during his 80 some odd kindhearted, generous , talented years. Can’t believe the unkind comments…but you ,too, have every right to your opinion.. Just too bad we can’t be more respectful . He’s such a good soul. God bless us all.

The rally for Beto will be held on Sept. 29 at Austin’s Auditorium Shores. “Nelson is scheduled to perform alongside Joe Ely, Carrie Rodriguez, Tameca Jones and Nelson’s sons, Lukas and Micah Nelson,” ABC 13 reports.

1. Bobby

September 14, 2018 at 6:41 am

Willie,
    this is really hard to believe, I’ll say I’m not surprised with your liberal leanings, but why did you have to go public with it? Damn you and damn your actions of stabbing at least 50% of your fans. There will never be another nickel taken out of my pocket for anything or anyone that’s connected to you.

• Gizzy

September 14, 2018 at 5:09 pm

I absolutely agree! Been a Willie, Waylon, & Kristophson fan from way back. No more Willie for me.

2. Raymond Martucci

September 14, 2018 at 6:54 am

It’s funny when it comes to these liberals and supporters like Willie here, they want gun control but yet they have guns in their homes they want open borders but yet they are surrounded by walls and bodyguards. Why don’t they open up their nice rich neighborhood to all the illegals and migrants and don’t have bodyguards to protect them. If he is no longer American he might as well take down his American flag or Texas flag

• Grace Joy

September 14, 2018 at 5:50 pm

Plus, he’s supporting “Socialism;” though he’s made his life & fortune from individuality, free press, & capitalism. I wonder how many “illegals” he’s brought into his home?

3. harrison burnel

September 14, 2018 at 7:03 am

KEEP YUR YAP SHUT HIPPY. MUSIC IS MUSIC, DONT MIX IT . NOW YOU HAVE… I DONT NEED U NO MO. NOW GIT

4. Ron

September 14, 2018 at 7:33 am

Sing, don’t talk politics!
    Bye Willie!

5. LydiaMay

September 14, 2018 at 7:59 am

Do not understand these celebrities who damage their careers by speaking out. Yes, we all have free speech, but with our world so divided, and they have such a public career, it is suicide to do so. We do not care about their political views. We want to watch a movie, hear a song, watch a game, without having their political views shoved down our throats. We have no opportunity to speak back. We are in a civil war of words, and these people are sabotaging their careers. There are MANY actors I cannot stand now. I will NOT go watch their new movies, they have ruined their old ones for me. They can go eat dirt!

• K

September 14, 2018 at 1:09 pm

Exactly!

• Jo Anne B. Mackey

September 14, 2018 at 4:03 pm

Willie Nelson, you made a huge mistake, yet you still have time to save the future for your son’s. Mr. Nelson, it is only good common sense to stay out of a hot topic like politics when you stand to lose so much. There are many actors and singers that have made their voices heard on both sides. When it comes right down to the bottom line. Who really do you want running your state and country? Open borders are the most dangerous thing with ISIS and the MS13 gang that has crossed those borders. I know that to be true from personal experience with the muslim beliefs. I know not one human is perfect and can be knowledgeable about everything in this world, however, the Clintons, Obamas and George Soros have started this war like no other in my 72 years I have ever seen!! George Soros, is one of the vilest men alive today who literally took part in Hitler’s Army against the Jewish people, the genocide all over again the same as in the country against the Native American Indians, my family was part of that genocide. They are the worst type, how many murders have a direct link to Bill and Hillary Clinton, just update your self on Obama’s lies and opening the borders wider than ever before. Do you really think you are going to change a muslim? I’ve heard you are part-Cherokee, I also am, however, do we really want another civil war in the states over a group of traitors that were in office? Do you think they are ever (either side) going to give our ancestors families our country back or does family really mean nothing to you? Do you believe in Sharia law, do you want your wife and daughters and future grandchildren living under those deplorable conditions? To many “if’s”, here. Do not throw your career away and have it tainted for your son’s and the future of your grandchildren. We both are old and unless you have messed up your own mind so badly that you too want to join the ranks of these idiots that are getting paid to riot and burn America to the ground, step back from your declaration of siding with the left. One of my other favorite country singers Dolly Parton, when she was asked which side she was on, her answer was perfection she said, “I am an entertainer and not a politician”.

• John F

September 14, 2018 at 7:55 pm

I wonder how many on the Liberal side are fans of Willie? Might be enough to keep him rolling in dough without Conservative’s support?

6. Kathy

September 14, 2018 at 9:51 am

Say It Isn’t True WILLIE!!! Dang it!

7. EfCyEs

September 14, 2018 at 12:34 pm

Nelson is already senile, hence I’m not surprised if he is doing lots of damboooos things…..It doesn’ make any sense believing what this old man say or do now.

8. Granny

September 14, 2018 at 2:49 pm

For Gods sake he’s never been a good sole. He smoked pot when it was illegal and boozed all over the place. But he’s old now and we should forgive him. Hell no. Didn’t like him before and now I dislike him a way lot more. He’s not a patriot. He didn’t serve his country and he is not a hero except to the illegal pot heads. I’m 76 so I guess when I say I was a Democrat for 50 years and now I would never vote for one again, I’m a hero also. Take the red, white, and blue bandana off because your no real American.

9. KW

September 14, 2018 at 3:01 pm

I always loved you. Now I simply can’t be behind you. This is so sad. I will no longer attend your concerts or buy your music. Bye, Willie!!

10. James Kelly

September 14, 2018 at 3:19 pm

Shut up and sing.

11. Tim Woolsey

September 14, 2018 at 4:01 pm

The Beto supporters came knocking on my door last weekend. Bet they didn’t like my Trump 2020 sign in my front window. They still tried to get me to listen to their bull. I listened to them, then I started asking them my questions. They wanted to leave, but since they were in my house, i made them listen to my questions. They didn’t like or would they answer me when I asked them if they supported illegal criminal aliens over American homeless vets. They tried to tell me that is wasn’t about that, but they were trying to protect children and keep them with their criminal parents. They really got pissed when I asked them what they would do if I entered their houses illegally. They said they would call the police. I then reminded them that they want to keep kids with their criminal parents, so I should be able to take my child when I go to jail for trespassing on their property. They tried to tell me it was different, but they could not explain to my why it was. They left my house not too happy. Bet they won’t be back!

12. MJ

September 14, 2018 at 4:01 pm

A no talent drughead bum! What more need be said!

13. Carl J Bujan Jr

September 14, 2018 at 4:18 pm

It seems Willie turns out to be one of the idiot entertainers that are against America, as the article dictated good bye Wille.

14. Edward Bennett

September 14, 2018 at 4:39 pm

I have never been nor will I ever become a fan of this pot smoking junkie, cop hating piece of excrement. I spent 23yrs as a L.E.O. and would, by mistake every now and then , listen to one of his anti establishment rants (so called songs)on my squad radio, I really came to think of this guy as previously stated and lost respect for the rest of his little group, the low way men.There’s an old PD saying, “once a DIRTBAG always a DIRTBAG” ……

15. Samuel Russell

September 14, 2018 at 5:46 pm

Willie, I mourn your passing. You were a great song writer, great singer and entertainer. As a political voice, you suck. In general, when a entertainment person forgets what made them famous, put food in their belly, paid for the accoutrements of their lifestyle, they must expect less of everything. Learning lessons from those around them appears to be impossible. Let it be so.

16. memphismom

September 14, 2018 at 5:51 pm

He should stick with what he does best…..not singing exactly but poetry set to music. Wonder who convinced him at this stage in life her should go political? They should be ashamed.

17. Terry Fisher

September 14, 2018 at 7:15 pm

So, Willie wants to be remembered as a traitor. Good Bye.

18. Michael A Heath Sr.

September 14, 2018 at 7:42 pm

Willie!!! Get off the boat, it’s sinkin’, and get on the train. the move just might let you survive a couple more years. The Dope ain’t all that important anymore, especially that Dope, Dem idiot you seem to be supporting.There are DIPSHIT Irishmen ya know! What’s more important than freedom, Life and our future IS DAMN IT !!! Wake up you old FART and get on the train ! You won’t drown !!!

19. fred h smith

September 15, 2018 at 12:42 am

SENILITY HAS HIT WILLY….HE IS OVER THE HILL AND HAS SMOKED TOO MUCH WEED HE IS TOTALLY CONFUSED.

20. CAROLE THURMAN

September 15, 2018 at 1:06 am

I SAW A RECENT INTERVIEW ON T.V. WITH WILLIE AND THE INTERVIEWER “TOUCHED ON THE POLITICAL SCENE”, WILLIE “STAYED NEUTRAL” WITH HIS COMMENT, AND I WAS PROUD OF HIM FOR DOING SO, “AND NOW THIS”!!!!!! VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!!!!!
    WILLIE YOU HAVE “SHOWN YOUR TRUE COLORS”!!!!! GOODBYE WILLIE!!!!!!