The World Series champion Boston Red Sox have accepted President Donald Trump’s invitation to visit the White House.

The Red Sox completed one of the best seasons in recent MLB history, winning 108 games and charging to a World Series win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in five games. It was the most wins in a season, including the World Series win, since the 1998 New York Yankees.

There was some question as to whether the Sox would accept the invitation as the traditional White House visits have become politicized in recent years.

Since Trump took office in 2017, three pro teams have not made the trip to the White House — the 2017 NBA champion Golden State Warriors, the 2018 Warriors and the 2018 Super Bowl-winning Philadelphia Eagles.

Several college teams, including the 2017 North Carolina basketball team, also have passed on meeting with Trump.

Many others, however, have visited the president, including the 2017 Super Bowl-winning New England Patriots, the 2017 Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins, the 2017 World Series champion Houston Astros and the 2018 Stanley Cup champion Washington Capitals.

Red Sox president Sam Kennedy said the players and coaches should get the recognition they deserve.

“Like in the past, it’s an invitation. It’s not a mandatory command performance,” Kennedy told The Boston Globe.

“It’s a great opportunity for the players, an invitation for the players and ownership. It’s a great opportunity for those guys to go to the White House and get the behind-the-scenes tour and get the recognition they deserve for the world championship,” he added.

Boston manager Alex Cora will be among those who will attend.

Cora had criticized Trump earlier this year, calling his comments about the death toll from Hurricane Maria in the fall of 2017 “disrespectful,” MassLive reported in September.

“I respect him. He’s the president of the United States. But I don’t agree with a lot of stuff he says about us,” Cora said at the time.

However, he told The Globe he is appreciative of the offer to attend the White House.

“I’m going to use my platform the right way,” Cora said. “I’m not going to embarrass anybody. Actually I’m going to represent probably 4 million people from back home the right way when we go there. Yes, I will go.”

The visit will likely be in February, March or April of next year, Kennedy told The Globe.

1. pookie

December 5, 2018 at 9:10 pm

Gentlemen…thank you SO much for putting politics aside. This is about baseball!

2. Mary Murphy

December 5, 2018 at 9:23 pm

Thank you, Red Sox! You have just increased your fan base by one! I was fortunate enough to watch you all play in May of 2018 at Fenmore and I am happy to say, you won that game. I also watched you all play in the 70’s against the Cincinattti Reds, I believe it was, when my husband was still living, and he was such a baseball fan that we watched most World Series Games during that era. You had a catcher at time who I loved to watch. I also have a super great pastor at my church who has been a fan of yours since he was a little kid, and still is. Needless to say, he was thrilled when you won this year. I found a Red Sox beach towel at a Thrift shop for $1.50, so I had to buy it for him. So when I read that you all were heading for the White House, I was so proud of all of you! You have restored my faith in sports teams, at least one, actually two because the Dallas Cowboys still stand for the national anthem and the American flat. How smart of them too.

• Mary Murphy

December 5, 2018 at 9:24 pm

I’m with you!!

3. James Kelly

December 5, 2018 at 9:37 pm

Sox’s = Class.

4. Helen

December 5, 2018 at 9:55 pm

I’m a new fan!

5. Linda

December 5, 2018 at 10:19 pm

Bravo Gentlemen!!

6. Carl J Bujan

December 6, 2018 at 12:08 am

I commend the Red Sox. They show respect for the office of the President.

7. MaryEllen Smith

December 6, 2018 at 12:12 am

Great move in the right direction. One more fan:)

8. Linda

December 6, 2018 at 2:48 pm

Congratulations, you are not only Champions… you are a class act for keeping politics out of sports, as it should be.

9. ON THE ROCK

December 6, 2018 at 4:13 pm

WHETHER SOME OF THE TEAM DO NOT AGREE WITH SOME OF TRUMP’S POLICIES OR ACTIONS, THEY HAVE ENOUGH SENSE TO REALIZE THAT THEY MAY NEVER GET THE CHANCE AGAIN. THINK OF THE PICTURES AND STORIES ABOUT THE VISIT THAT WILL BE HANDED DOWN IN THEIR FAMILIES FOR AGES. THOSE OTHER TEAMS THAT REFUSED TO GO WILL JUST HEAR HOW STUPID THEY WERE “FOREVER”.