Dairy Farmer Schools Joaquin Phoenix After Oscars Anti-Milk Tirade: ‘We Feed the World … and What Do You Do?’

A Wisconsin dairy farmer is hitting back after Joaquin Phoenix bashed the dairy industry during his acceptance speech for Best Actor at the Oscars Sunday night, WISN-TV reported.

Tom Oberhaus, who has a degree in dairy science from Ohio State University and previously served as a director on the Waukesha County Farm Bureau, said he didn’t watch the Oscars and didn’t even know who Phoenix was until news of the speech circulated among dairy farmers like him.

“I think that we’ve become very disconnected from the natural world,” Phoenix said in his scattered remarks about injustice, love, and various other subjects. “We feel entitled to artificially inseminate a cow, and when she gives birth we steal her baby, even though her cries of anguish are unmistakable. And then we take her milk that’s intended for her calf and we put it in our coffee and our cereal,” he added.

That didn’t sit well with Oberhaus, who was quick to point out that Phoenix was speaking from ignorance.

“We just wave it off and go, ‘Hey, ding-dong, you don’t have any idea what’s going on here at the farm,'” Oberhaus said. “I mean I’d love it if he’d come out here for a couple hours — that would be awesome. That’s an invite, Mr. Phoenix. C’mon out. See what life is like on the farm.”

But Oberhaus wasn’t done there. He went on to throw a barb of his own at the Hollywood actor for letting his ignorance turn into self-righteous judgment.

“You know, we feel we have real important jobs in the world, we help feed the world. It’s kind of important that people have food to eat. And what do you do, Mr. Phoenix? Oh yeah, you entertain people. OK,” he said shrugging.

• Carl says:

I do not understand the fantasy people have with Actors, I think of them as morons living in their own little world. They are not part of main street Americans.

• Mickey says:

They are stuck in perpetual childhood and play make believe all the time. They don’t have a clue how the food they eat and the luxuries they enjoy get here.

• Evangeline says:

Hey, Joaquin, God gave us meat to eat and milk to drink in the bible. But then again you show us that you don’t care at all about God or his word.

• Gayle says:

This idiot is crying about animals that feed America but promote innocent baby killing! The are demented idiots!

• frederick says:

The problem with Hollywood is the money. Everyone wants more money and will prostitute themselves to the billionaires who pay them. People with more money then sense are not living in the same world we normal people are. Save the snail darter but kill the unborn babies!!! What the hell is that all about?? Two child actors (Cory Freeman and another Cory) have produced two films about child abuse and sexual predators in Hollywood. They are speaking from personal experience. The films will live stream soon. Hollywood and the other sewer rats are up in arms about these films. The same crowd who thought Epstein and Shifty Adam were pillars of their community. I intend the watch both films because there will be people named. I do not think I will be surprised. I was a fan of Rock Hudson until I found out he had AIDS. Mayor Pete has his husband on stage to give him a little kiss. I wonder how a meeting with Vladimir and President elect Mayor Pete would turn out.

• Laurie says:

Who the heck does this clod think “the earth’s resources” were put there for? I’m so thankful God found me in my youth and revealed certain truths to me. I’d hate to be inside the mind of an unbeliever, esp. one as “gone” as poor Mr. Phoenix. I wonder what he eats, since he probably worries about the itty bitty feewings of fruits and veggies as well.

• R Ives says:

Inefficiently using land to grow food to feed cows to benefit the few is not feeding the world but causing hunger.