WATCH: Trump Awards Giant 60-Pound Trophy to Sumo Grand Champion in Tokyo
WATCH: New Gillette Ad Features Dad Teaching Transgender Son How to Shave
WATCH: Hillary Says President Trump is ‘Running Scared,’ Claims Pelosi Video is ‘Sexist Trash’
Trump Speaks Out After Vowing To Uncover Russia Probe Roots: ‘We’re Exposing Everything’
Donald Trump Jr. slammed actor Jussie Smollett over the weekend after news reports surfaced alleging that Smollett had orchestrated the January incident, in which he claimed he was attacked, on himself.
Multiple news publications reported late on Saturday that law enforcement officials said they believed that Smollett had paid two Nigerian brothers to conduct the attack.
In response to the recent developments, Trump Jr. rattled off a series of tweets going after Smollett and the media for promoting the story.
“Shocked, I really thought MAGA folks (who are all over downtown Chicago) were waiting with a rope/bottle of bleach to ambush a righ guy at 2am in minus 4 degrees because those are conditions where all people go out for Subway rather than order Seamless,” Trump Jr. tweeted. “Seemed so real.”
“Strange that no one in Hollywood or the Main Stream Media seems to want #JusticeForJussie anymore,” Trump Jr. tweeted an hour later. “Wonder what changed?”
On Sunday, Trump Jr. tweeted again about the Smollett case, writing: “Kathy Griffin: No one can ruin a career faster than I can. Jussie Smollet: Hold my bleach!!!”
TMZ reported on Sunday that, according to law enforcement sources connected to the investigation, “a grand jury will hear the Jussie Smollett case early next week.”
TMZ added that “the 2 brothers who were arrested and then released are staying somewhere around the Loop in downtown Chicago under the watchful eye of police so no one gets to them. We’re told cops especially want to make sure Jussie does not contact the brothers.”
“We can confirm that the information received from the individuals questioned by police earlier in the Empire case has in fact shifted the trajectory of the investigation,” Chicago Police Chief Communications Officer Anthony said on Saturday. “We’ve reached out to the Empire cast member’s attorney to request a follow-up interview.”
Lawyers representing Smollett responded to the new allegations against their client in a statement the released late on Saturday night.
“As a victim of a hate crime who has cooperated with the police investigation, Jussie Smollett is angered and devastated by recent reports that the perpetrators are individuals he is familiar with,” the statement from Smollett’s lawyers said. “He has now been further victimized by claims attributed to these alleged perpetrators that Jussie played a role in his own attack. Nothing is further from the truth and anyone claiming otherwise is lying.”
“One of these purported suspects was Jussie’s personal trainer who he hired to ready him physically for a music video,” the statement continued. “It is impossible to believe that this person could have played a role in the crime against Jussie or would falsely claim Jussie’s complicity.”
“Jussie and his attorney’s anticipate being further updated by the Chicago Police Department on the status of the investigation and will continue to cooperate,” the statement concluded. “At present time, Jussie and his attorney’s have no inclination to respond to ‘unnamed’ sources inside the investigation, but will continue discussions through official channels.”