Late Monday night, NBC News published an “exclusive” revealing that Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell’s great-great-grandfathers owned 14 slaves. The article ties the so-called revelation to McConnell’s opposition to reparations for the descendants of slaves.

NBC spent a great amount of time digging through century-old census records to trace McConnell’s history and find the slave owners.

“The two great-great-grandfathers, James McConnell and Richard Daley, owned a total of at least 14 slaves in Limestone County, Alabama — all but two of them female, according to the county ‘Slave Schedules’ in the 1850 and 1860 censuses,” NBC reported.

At Tuesday afternoon’s Senate leadership press conference, McConnell was predictably asked about the report.

“You know, I find myself once again in the same position as President Obama,” McConnell said. “We both oppose reparations and we both are the descendants of slave owners.”

Back in 2007, The Guardian reported that amateur genealogical researcher William Reitwiesner found Obama’s great-great-great-great-grandfather, George Washington Overall, owned two slaves in Kentucky. Obama’s great-great-great-great-great-grandmother, Mary Duvall, also owned two slaves. Duvall was a descendent of Maureen Duvall, “whose estate owned at least 18 slaves in the 17th century,” the Guardian reported.

In 2004, Obama said reparations “would be an excuse for some to say we’ve paid our debt” and stop efforts to heal, USA Today reported. Obama did not call for reparations or pursue the issue during his two presidential terms.

In the past, McConnell (R-KY) has said he opposed reparations because “no one currently alive was responsible for that.”

“I don’t think reparations for something that happened 150 years [ago] — for whom none of us currently living are responsible — is a good idea,” McConnell said previously.

“We’ve tried to deal with our original sin of slavery by fighting a civil war, by passing landmark civil rights legislation, by electing an African American president,” he continued, adding that it would be difficult to determine who is owed and who owes.

The issue is making a comeback as Democrats battle to figure out who will take on President Donald Trump in 2020. The African-American unemployment rate is the lowest it has been in decades — and reached a record low in May 2018 — and the economy is still booming. The black community certainly favors Democrats, but if Trump can peel off part of that vote, it could bring trouble for his opponent come election time.

Multiple media outlets picked up on the NBC report to attack McConnell, suggesting this was why he opposed reparations. There is no evidence to suggest McConnell knew that his great-great grandfathers had owned slaves.

The report came out, coincidentally, the night before Amy McGrath announced she would run against McConnell in 2020. The Senate Majority Leader was also asked about his new opponent, to which he responded: “It’ll be a spirited race.” He added that he actually enjoys campaigns, unlike many of his Senate colleagues.

1. Joe

July 9, 2019 at 6:55 pm

What, obamas family owned slaves. Guess even blacks were willing to own slaves. My family didnt own slaves so i dont intend to give them any money. NEITHER DID A LOT OF NORTHERN FAMILYS. HOW ABOUT THE BLACKS PAY THOSE FAMILIES MONEY FOR SETTING THEM FREE, SO THEY WEREN’T SLAVES.

• carol

July 9, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Obama’s, Mother’s, family is white.

• BWH

July 9, 2019 at 7:55 pm

I’m wondering if the left will be heading to Africa to try to round up those whose ancestors were responsible for rounding up other Africans to ship them to the US.

• MJ

July 9, 2019 at 8:40 pm

There are many in the South as well that did not own slaves. I’m tired of hearing how Southerners are still so racist. Where I live the only racist I see are black people that refuse to move forward that promote racial problems. We try to live and let live and have done just that for the last 50 years or so. We believe in fairness to everyone no matter the color of skin for everyone that is willing to work and respect each other. I do not feel I owe anyone for something me or my forefathers did or did not do over 150 years ago. People make mistakes in life, what you learn from those mistakes are what is important. I grew up poor, never owned slaves, worked hard for everything I own, not one member of my family owned slaves, in fact my Father was a share-cropper at one time. What I learned from being poor was to work hard, be honest and fair with everyone, treat others the way I wanted to be treated, don’t expect hand outs, and live and let live realizing I didn’t have to stay around those I disagreed with. That is not the way society wants it though now, that want to force things upon us whether we like it or not. I for one will not conform and will go to my grave fighting for my rights.

2. Ellen Whiting

July 9, 2019 at 7:08 pm

Demanding reparations is the quickest way back into slavery.

3. Paul Lee

July 9, 2019 at 7:42 pm

Fantastic Mitch

4. Trump2020

July 9, 2019 at 7:50 pm

Many free blacks owned slaves but the Left doesn’t want you to know that. In fact, some of the biggest and most creul slave owners were black. And of course, it was blacks in Western Africa who sold other blacks to slavery to the West. We still have slaves across the world and guess who owns and controls them….blacks and Muslims. Why don’t BLM say or do anything about them?? #hypocrites

5. LST

July 9, 2019 at 7:51 pm

Who in the fuck cares! Niggers want handouts, not jobs. I don’t owe those bastards a damned thing except maybe a foot up the ass. When my grandparents moved here from Russia they ran their own farm, they didn’t own any spooks.

6. Hubert Hurst

July 9, 2019 at 7:52 pm

News commentators keep talking about the descendants of slave owners. Is the new program of the Democrats to punish the children for the sins of the parents. I believe a person must be punished for his own sins and not for the sins of congress. Just remember who it was that passed the laws making slave ownership legal.

7. Art LaPella

July 9, 2019 at 8:05 pm

Everyone is descended from a slaveholder, because slavery was common in ancient times, and beyond 100 generations, everyone’s family tree spreads out to include the world. But many of are descended from immigrants after 1865, and thus can’t be descended from American slaveholders. And of course the whole subject is ridiculous – our age will be remembered for enslaving taxpayers, not blacks.

• Linda

July 9, 2019 at 10:22 pm

Great comment.

8. Diana

July 9, 2019 at 8:22 pm

No one in my family owned slaves, I’m not paying anyone reparations.

• Samuel H.

July 9, 2019 at 9:31 pm

Democrat’s owwned slaves but I guess NBC doesn’t care about them. Report the facts the same for both sides of the aisle. Your ratings would even go up.
      We know Democrats were for slavery. A lot of Democrats in the KKK also.

9. Polly

July 9, 2019 at 10:46 pm

Well the ones who want reparations just go back to Africa and look for the decendants of the ones who sold you and ask them for it.Maybe coming to America saved your lives from the safety that existed in Africa.I a black and think this stupidity must stop.Get ajob

10. Rawhide

July 10, 2019 at 12:02 am

So what? That was 160 years ago, what does it have to do with today? No one living in America today, was ever a slave nor were they a slave owner.

11. becky aheren

July 12, 2019 at 12:03 pm

They talk a lot about the whites starting slavery in this country, which really is not true. The American Indian were slave owners, they would steal people from neighboring tribes for slaves, and stole a lot of white pioneers, that were going accross the country, and made them slaves. The show YELLOWSTONE also brings this out, but it is a documented fact.