House Speaker Nancy Pelosi responded Wednesday to President Donald Trump’s call for legislation to ban late-term abortion by saying it’s a “sad thing.”

“It’s really quite a sad thing when you know that we’ll be talking about something that applies to the health and life — health and ability to have other children of women,” she said when asked by The Daily Caller. “I hope that in his family, he never has to face that crisis and apply his attitude toward it.”

During his State of the Union speech, President Trump expressed to lawmakers, “To defend the dignity of every person, I am asking the Congress to pass legislation to prohibit the late-term abortion of children who can feel pain in the mother’s womb.”

He added, “Let us work together to build a culture that cherishes innocent life. Let us reaffirm a fundamental truth: all children — born and unborn — are made in the holy image of God.”

Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin told the Caller that while he does not personally support late-term abortion “unless the life or health of the mother is at stake,” he said the president is “ready for a battle over abortion, and we haven’t had one in a while, so I think he’s decided that helps fire up his base.”

West Virginia Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin, on the other hand, stood with the president, saying, “To me, it shouldn’t be a fight at all. It’s just totally immoral to do that. I think.”

“I just think it’s just horrendous,” Manchin noted. “I don’t know how anyone could even fathom supporting anything such as late-term abortion.”

1. Irma Laha

February 8, 2019 at 12:33 am

I call it murder, shame on them for killing babies as they are born. You will answer to God for your part. Shame on YOU!!

• bbaker

February 8, 2019 at 1:05 am

NANCY IF YOU LIKE LATE TERM ABORTIONS THEN IT MUST NOT BE TO LATE TO ABORT “YOU” NOW. & Chucky too!

• Helen

February 8, 2019 at 8:26 am

LOL, I agree. She is demented, and so is anyone that could support late term abortion.

• madge

February 8, 2019 at 5:57 am

It is murder no matter what they call it. Pelousy should know the Bible, but again, she made up a verse that isn’t in it. God’s hand is going to come down and when it does, look out. That gavel she holds will pop her over the head.

2. MJ

February 8, 2019 at 12:47 am

I call her sad, sick evil and the lowest of morals to be a Mother and Grandmother to condone the killing of a precious defenseless baby. She is such. a phony, ripping children from illegal immigrant Mothers are horrific to her, but ripping babies from a Mother’s womb is ok!

3. Michael A Heath Sr.

February 8, 2019 at 12:53 am

What an ignorant BITCH!!!

4. Shari Early

February 8, 2019 at 1:05 am

It’s murder. Is it still to late to abort the Democratic party? If they are for killing babies then they’ll turn on the elderly and start killing them off next.

• Helen

February 8, 2019 at 8:28 am

Sadly, you may be right.

5. Dane Wesley

February 8, 2019 at 1:13 am

I say it is to bad that she wasn’t born In these days and she had a mother who believed In abortion and her mother decided to have a late term abortion because she didn’t like the color of hair, but the bad part is I don’t wish this on anyone but if I had to choose I would let her live because God would never kill anyone of his children I don’t care how bad they are. I don’t care what happens to her as long as God chooses her medicine.

6. coachpan

February 8, 2019 at 1:39 am

The sad thing here is”plastic face” Nancy !

7. bbaker

February 8, 2019 at 1:43 am

Nancy’s place during the SOTU address was under the podium not sitting behind it.

8. bbaker

February 8, 2019 at 1:46 am

No wall Nancy spends more on wrinkle cream than what Trump wants to BUILD THE WALL.

9. Rebecca Holstine

February 8, 2019 at 1:57 am

I have been in favor of pro choice since the early 70s. Talking about first term. But as I have seen the progress on the question of abortion, I realize it was never about pro choice. I see now this was always the end game. It has turned me off abortions completely. In this day and age there are too many different ways to NOT get pregnant, and abortions are not needed. I am so sorry about all the babies that has been killed. Shame on Nancy and her Democrat party for pushing this horrible thing.

• Ken Easterling

February 8, 2019 at 10:59 am

I too have been in favor of pro choice. I don’t believe the ‘old folks’ in our Congress should be deciding anything about a woman’s womb.

However, late term abortions are disgusting. In some cases it is needed. If for some reason the fetus has died or won’t go to term or the mom’s health won’t let the fetus go to term. I think abortions should be legal through first term or maybe second term for good reasons. If the mom hasn’t made a decision by the second term, abortion should be unlawful.

One other thing, I remember when abortions weren’t legal. The back room abortions, back alley abortions, and self induced abortions (using a coat hanger or things like kerosine) were deadly for many women looking for an abortion. I don’t think the rules should be so strict that those things happen again.

• Theresa

February 8, 2019 at 4:26 pm

I think the fear mongering of “coat hanger” and “backstreet abortions” is so wrong. In the 50’s and early 60’s if a woman became pregnant out of wedlock she was shunned and her baby was shunned and there were not a lot of options. Today there is birth control available in gas station bath rooms. Any woman today has so many options available to her to prevent pregnancy in the first place; a morning after pill in the event of rape and in the event that there is a health concern for her or the unborn child that is a decision that should made with physician and family support. Adoption is always and option and there is a lot of financial assistance to help provide support and necessities.

10. Michelle Greer

February 8, 2019 at 2:13 am

What is “really quite a sad thing” is that this is even a reality or a talking point. I am a supporter of legalized abortion, but never ever forget, it is ending a life and there is no medical,moral or ethical reason that a late term abortions is an acceptable solution for. This is pure evil,I was physically ill when I first heard the New York law and what it entails had been passed, then Virginias governed tried to make it ok to let a baby die even after birth, are we back in the middle ages whenref headed babies were killed at birth, or babies with birth marks or babies with (now treatable) birth defects? Just take them out into the forest and put a log across their neck, stand on it if you must to ensure you kill them? Sound savage? Well so does this law.

11. Wes

February 8, 2019 at 2:20 am

Pelosi is a sad demented woman. She has no sense of values or respect for human life.

12. Fred Sheehan

February 8, 2019 at 2:34 am

What is sad is the need to call for a ban on late term abortion.

13. Alan

February 8, 2019 at 2:45 am

Pelosi is a truly evil monster.

14. RAY SAY

February 8, 2019 at 3:07 am

What’s ‘sad’ Nasty Pelosi, is that you are headed for Hell, and think somehow that Communist Pope will save you, he can’t since he is headed there also

15. Polly

February 8, 2019 at 3:08 am

A demented evil demonic servant of Satan.WHile she still have live which God gives her I hope she repents.He is a loving God who loves us all.

16. fred

February 8, 2019 at 3:19 am

shame nancys mother didn”t abort her

• Ken Easterling

February 8, 2019 at 11:02 am

That was my first thought as well.

17. Carol

February 8, 2019 at 3:34 am

Nancy, you talk about God and the bible but you say late term abortion are OK. The babies you are murdering? They are Gods creation too.

18. Ed

February 8, 2019 at 4:15 am

WHAT “women’s rights?” As soon as that heartbeat starts up, at the very latest (and usually around 6 weeks), that little person is NO LONGER a woman’s ‘body’ is it? Except for an emergency, any abortion past a couple of months is simply taking the life of another human being. I thought we had laws against that, laws which put people in prison for good, or worse.

That little one, alive and kicking inside there …what’s all this garbage about “It’s MY body and I have ‘rights …?”

19. Joe

February 8, 2019 at 4:17 am

Only a Whore would say that , whore nancy

20. Joe

February 8, 2019 at 4:21 am

Only a NAZI would say that nancy. You a nazi nancy. How many babies have you had killed

21. Boyd

February 8, 2019 at 11:53 pm

Abortion on any level is bad enough, especially during the second trimester. If that person who wanted an abortion has taken 9 months to decide and then have the abortion, they are fooling themselves. It is extremely rare to have someone have such issues that a late term abortion caught a woman off guard! She could have had an abortion long, long before this, even though I still do not approve of it in general.

22. Kablake

February 9, 2019 at 3:41 am

Yet Nancy says she quotes the Bible and supposedly believes in GOD!!