President Donald Trump hosted the family of murdered Army Specialist Vanessa Guillen in the Oval Office on Thursday, where he offered to personally pay for the slain soldier’s funeral.

The president also said it would not be the first time he has covered such expenses following the death of a servicemember.

Guillen went missing from Fort Hood in April, and her body was found more than two months later in a shallow grave. A fellow soldier suspected of killing her committed suicide as investigators closed in to arrest him, and the victim’s family says she was sexually harassed prior to her murder but did not report it out of fear of retaliation.

Fox News reported that the president invited the Guillen family to the White House to share their story, and said during the meeting that he did not want what happened to Guillen to be “swept under the rug.”

According to the New York Post, President Trump offered to pay for Vanessa’s funeral, adding, “I don’t even know if you need help, maybe you don’t need help from a financial standpoint. I have no idea. I just think it’s a horrific thing that happened and if you did need help, I’ll be there to help you.”

A reporter asked the president if he has offered to pay for the funerals of other soldiers in the past, and he replied, “I have, I have. I have to do it personally, I can’t do it through government. I have because some families need help. They need help.”

Ever since Vanessa’s disappearance, her family has accused the Army of withholding information from them and asked for a Congressional investigation into what happened. Following outrage over the specialist’s death, the Army launched an independent panel to “review the command climate and culture at Fort Hood,” ABC News reported.

During a speech on the National Mall on Thursday, Vanessa’s mother, Gloria Guillen, told the crowd in Spanish (as translated by Fox News), “My daughter is already history. If the president of the nation wants to make history together with my daughter, he’ll make sure that devil base is closed and all the damn corruption that exists in the Army is cleaned out.”

The Guillen family is pushing for legislation, called the #IAmVanessaGuillen bill, that would allow active duty servicemembers to file harassment claims through a third party rather than up the military chain of command. President Trump told them Thursday that the legislation has his support, and that “we’re working on it already.”

• RD says:

I’m sure the far left democrats did not like this. Thank you, President Trump.

• sally says:

I am so Proud of OUR President! He not only has a heart of gold, he has true love for this country and all of the American citizens residing here. he truly has our backs and has gone thru hell because of it. I pray he remains in good health and that the second term is easier than his first. He deserves a break.

• Karen Thomas says:

Yes, our President Mr. Trump, does deserve a break, but we know that is not going to happen with the dems, and if President Trump does get re-elected, it’s only going to be one investigation after another if the dems keep the House, and I pray they don’t. President Trump has a heart of gold. I read where there was a child that needed special care, and had to be flown to another city to get it. The regular airlines said, “No way”. President Trump (before he was President) told his staff who fly his “Trump Plane” MAKE IT HAPPEN and they did. The child got the needed care. Don’t hear of things like that do you? So it doesn’t surprise me that President Trump will pay for this soldier’s funeral. I pray that he gets re-elected and thank you JESUS for giving us our wonderful President, Donald J. Trump.

• Evangeline says:

That’s MY PRESIDENT! He’s a good man with people and corporations in great power against him. He’s strong yet compassionate. Luv my pres!

• Intellectual Impaler says:

You’d never see any Democrat do that. Willing to pay for a funeral for a service member. No. They pay for “martyred” criminals.

• WaveForm says:

Great job Mr President! Keep up the good works! God Bless!

• Mickey says:

Ladies and Gentlemen, you are witnessing a true Christian and patriot. The left doesn’t know anything about how the things in life we are judged on. God bless President Trump and his family.

• Patriot1951 says:

That’s one reason I’m voting TRUMP / PENCE 2020!