Former NFL coach Tony Dungy came to the defense of New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees and his comments against insults to the American flag and the country.

Brees’ statement was excoriated by many in the NFL, including some of his teammates on the Saints.

“We have to have Drew Brees saying what he said,” said Dungy on the Pat McAfee show on Thursday.

“I don’t, I don’t downgrade Drew for that. OK, that’s what he said. He may not totally understand, it may be not exactly the way he wanted to express it, but he can’t be afraid to say that,” he explained.

“And we can’t be afraid to say, OK, Drew, I don’t agree with you but let’s sit down and talk about it, we can’t just say anytime something happens and we don’t agree with it, ‘Hey I’m done with that and this person,’ and that doesn’t make sense,” Dungy added.

‘That’s not gonna fix anything’
“We have to be better than that, this battle is not gonna be won by demonstrating and throwing bricks through windows, it’s not gonna be won by the government saying, ‘Hey we’re gonna bring out these weapons and dominate the streets again,’ ” he continued. “That is not gonna fix anything.”

He went on to explain how his past informed his opinion on the matter.

“My dad was a veteran, he would not have taken these protests as disrespecting the flag. He would have taken it as people trying to make the change in our great country for the better.”

Brees apology
Brees originally said he would never agree with anyone disrespecting the American flag, but he later issued an apology for his statement after facing heavy backlash by those supported the kneeling protests.

“I am sick about the way my comments were perceived yesterday, but I take full responsibility and accountability,” he concluded. “I recognize that I should do less talking and more listening… and when the black community is talking about their pain, we all need to listen. For that, I am very sorry and I ask your forgiveness.”

Here’s the video of Dungy’s comments:

• Randie says:

I will never give up who I am or what I believe for anyone else BLM included. We need to stand in our authentic truth and if we value the American flag then the other side needs to except that or not. Standing with our black counterparts does not mean giving up who we are.

• Patriot1951 says:

When immigrants come to America legally they cease to be “them”, and “they” become us. So when you insult the flag, you insult all of us. Stand together for the Flag. Stand together for the Anthem. Work together for a better America, or perish as discordant factions.

• Gerry says:

That’s what all this childish bullschitt is about — Brees saying people should stand for the National Anthem and the schittbirds who agreed with that phony hypocrite kaeperjerk-off gave Brees schitt over it. Instead of apologizing — Brees needs to tell them to kiss his ass !!!! He has a perfect right to think and say exactly what MOST AMERICANS AGREE WITH. This is total BULLSCHITT !!!!

• Cas says:

I loved the message he gave and immediately knew he would be making an apology. So sad that the left never apologizes and doesn’t give a damn, but those with conservative, patriotism seem to. It’s about time they don’t, I’m tired of hearing the silent majority wills speak Nov, that’s the problem many don’t speak.
    But, I do think the left has temper tantrums when they don’t get their way and conservatives are reserved.
    To me 95% if this is true.
    Dems: Spoiled Brat out of control
    Reps: Wise Master

• Kevin says:

The problem is we kicked God and Jesus out of or schools and government. It is really that simple.

Believe the gospel. Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures. And he was buried and rose again on the third day according to the scriptures. 1 Cor15:1-4.

He is returning again soon. If you think there is hell on earth now, wait until the church is taken out of the way. Be saved while there is still time.
    Romans 10:9-10, That if though shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, though shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness;and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

• Fran says:

I will never watch Football again as long as I live. A bunch of overpaid THUGS!!!!!

• Cathy says:

Brees grow a pair and stand up for what you believe in.!
    My 11 yro nephew loves the saints. I’ll be making sure he’s he’s too busy having fun and find him a roll model that knows what it means to be a true leader walking w/with God