President Donald Trump commented Friday on a prospective presidential run by former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, bestowing a new nickname on a fellow billionaire.

Speaking to reporters at the White House, Trump referred to Bloomberg as “little Michael,” The Hill reported.

The president also predicted that the Democratic businessman would fare poorly in a presidential campaign.

“He’s not going to do well, but I think he’s going to hurt [former Vice President Joe] Biden, actually,” Trump said.

He also told reporters that Bloomberg “doesn’t have the magic to do well” in the race.

“Little Michael will fail. He’ll spend a lot of money. He’s got some really big issues, he’s got some personal problems and he’s got a lot of other problems,” he said.

Trump went on to say that even if Bloomberg were to win the Democratic primary, he would be “happy” to run against the former NYC mayor.

“He will not do very well and if he did, I would be happy,” Trump said. “There’s nobody I’d rather run against than little Michael.”

Earlier in his remarks, Trump denigrated Bloomberg as a “nothing” while claiming he knew him well.

“I’ve known Michael Bloomberg for a long time. If you go back early on, he said a lot of great things about Trump,” he said.

“But I know Michael. He became just a nothing, he was really a nothing.”

On Thursday, The New York Times reported that Bloomberg was “actively preparing” to enter the presidential race.

While the former mayor had reportedly not officially decided whether to run, he did send staffers to Alabama to garner enough signatures to put him on the ballot should he decide to launch a campaign.

According to The Times, Bloomberg and his advisers called Democrats such as former Nevada Sen. Harry Reid to signal that he may be joining the race.

While the 77-year-old has considered running for president before, he has never appeared on a state ballot.

• Paul says:

I would have called him “Big Gulp”

• LST says:

More like “Doomberg.”

• Gr8awakening says:

How can anyone join a race that others already have spent time in and had debates? He is at zero percent like anyone else who joins late.
    How is that fair to the other candidates?
    Everyone under investigation gets to run like Eric Holder and Hillary but spent no money like other presidential hopefuls. Their should be a start date for all and your in the race or you’re out period.

• sepepper says:

Yeah Hillary like the proverbial Wicked Witch of the West is biding her time to announce her repeat run.
      Anyone is allowed to announce their candidacy at any time, but it certainly doesn’t mean they’ll actually get their name on the election ballot for either of the officially recognized primaries (which I presume will still occur in March 2020). I wouldn’t vote for Bloomberg if my life depended on it– but it would at least make it interesting, assuming Hillary will also. Bloomberg better hope that Hillary doesn’t have anything on him, which she’s collected over the years from days when she & Bill were in charge (remember those 900+ missing FBI files on their watch?) to the most recent revelation of her “private server” which was NEVER destroyed, by the way).

• yankeeyob says:

Bloomberg should do well, once he turns up his anti-Trump propaganda machine, Bloomberg News, up to eleven

• timmy tombo says:

Wow, he called him “little Michael.” Total burn! He said he is a nothing! Psych! Wow Trump is cool. I am gonna use those insults when I go to school on Monday. I am gonna totally blow away everyone in 5th-grade homeroom. Trump has the most awesome insults. He is totally my kind of guy.

• Wilson says:

Too bad his first name is not Dick or Peter then Trump could call him little Dick on TV. Would drive the left nuts.

• Oh No says:

Hide your guns and Dr Pepper!!!!