President Donald Trump signed a handful of Bibles while visiting tornado-ravaged Lee County, Alabama, and the critics were quick to pounce.

MSNBC kicked off Saturday morning with a segment that was highly critical of the move.

Joe Watkins, former White House aide to President George H.W. Bush — who also happens to be a pastor — said he would “not be inclined to sign someone’s holy book.” He did, however, note that the people asking Trump to sign their Bibles did not appear to be bothered by it.

Former Obama White House aide Will Jawando added, “I’m of the opinion that only Jesus should be signing a Bible.”

MoveOn.org senior advisor Karine Jean-Pierre argued that the move was unprecedented and even “bizarre,” saying, “I’ve never seen that. I don’t think any of us has ever heard of a president signing a Bible.”

And they weren’t alone.

Politico called the move “an unusual gesture.”

And it only got worse from there.

Conservative commentator Michelle Malkin rained on their parade with a single tweet, reminding them that a president signing Bibles wasn’t exactly a new phenomenon.

Malkin listed Truman, Clinton, Gore, Carter and Mondale among the presidents, vice presidents, and candidates who had signed Bibles or Psalms books — and she posted photos.

1. ON THE ROCK

March 10, 2019 at 10:58 am

THIS COUNTRY IS EXPLODING WITH MULTITUDES OF PISSY, WHINEY BABIES THAT WILL LOOK FOR ANYTHING TO BITCH ABOUT. PRESIDENT DID NOT BRING BIBLES, SIGN THEM, AND THEN HAND THEM OUT. THE SURVIVORS AND VOLUNTEERS REQUESTED THEIR BIBLES BE SIGNED. ANYWAY, ACTUALLY THEY ARE JUST BOOKS, SIMILAR TO THE COMIC BOOKS THE COMPLAINERS READ. TOO BAD TRUMP DIDN’T BRING CHICK-FIL-A SANDWICHES FOR EVERYBODY. MAYBE ALL THE WHINERS WOULD HAVE STROKED OUT AND DID THIS COUNTRY A FAVOR.

• Grace Joy

March 10, 2019 at 11:16 am

Yup. You just saved me having to write a post. Only to add that those complaining are not in any position to be judging anyone.

2. Millie

March 10, 2019 at 11:10 am

President Trump and the First Lady took time to come to Lee County to pay respect to the families and victims of a tragic event. People handed him multiple things to sign. We appreciate that he acknowledged a grieving community. Lee County appreciates all people, companies,that continue to aide us.
    For all the haters you are just wasting good breathable air.

3. Brokengirl55

March 10, 2019 at 11:40 am

After what those poor people have been through, they should have had signed what ever they wanted to have signed. Once again our presidents actions get snide remarks, nasty comments, and horrible media coverage. It’s just a continuance of the hatred for our president.

4. Diana

March 10, 2019 at 11:46 am

For Heaven’s sake, the President is only signing a pile of papers, not changing the word of God. Isn’t it wonderful that the signature on the bibles in that of a man who is trying to bring Jesus back into USA. When are some people going to stop being so immature and pathetic. Please Jesus, keep our President out of harms way and keep Your armor around him to deflect the nastiness aimed at him daily.

• Debbie

March 10, 2019 at 4:21 pm

Amen!

5. James Long

March 10, 2019 at 12:32 pm

We all know who was responsible for the Holy Bible and it definitely wasn’t President Trump! What other pieces of paper did he sign while he was there! I doubt it was all Bibles! Just sayin’…

6. RCP55

March 10, 2019 at 12:48 pm

Is this how far out of touch of reality these people are? Pres Trump was ASKED to sign someones bible because that was all they had available and the msm is making this HEADLINE news? What is this country coming too?

7. Mary Johnson

March 10, 2019 at 1:07 pm

If that is what the person wanted him to sign then that is there right.

8. MICHAEL MCPOLAND

March 10, 2019 at 1:20 pm

Some people have got to get down in the dirt to find something to bitch at President Trump about. The Bibles may be all that those people had left.

9. Joyce Mayer

March 10, 2019 at 2:36 pm

hmmmm…just wondering if the reason other presidents (false claim by the way)didn’t sign peoples bibles….is because they weren’t around when the crises happened…and the survivors had no reason to want to remember that their president cared enough to show up? just guessin?!

10. Bobby Joe

March 10, 2019 at 2:54 pm

GOD was too busy so President Trump was the next best. Praise GOD for Trump and he is our savior until God is freed up.

11. Michael

March 10, 2019 at 4:15 pm

Before anyone jumps down my throat, let me just say that I am a HUGE Trump fan and supporter. However, I don’t think he, or anyone else for that matter, should be signing Bibles. Yes, I understand the people asked him to sign their Bibles, but I don’t think they should have done that either. The Bible is the word of God and I just feel like having someone sign it treats it as if it’s just some random ordinary collectible or piece of memorabilia. Therefore, I don’t think anyone should ever sign it. That being said, I still support the president’s policies and think he’s doing a fantastic job. Best president in my lifetime, hands down. God bless him and thank you for making him our president.

• Timothy

March 10, 2019 at 5:30 pm

That’s absolutely absurd Michael! So my bible and many in my family that are signed like mine was by my grandmother as a gift to me are wrong? You’re an idiot. God’s word is sacred not a book printed by man. People are so pathetic today

12. daz

March 10, 2019 at 8:16 pm

I wonder how many Korans obuma signed ?????

13. Henry Fechner

March 11, 2019 at 12:51 am

This is ridiculous. If he was asked to sign their bibles and refused the media would be criticizing him for not having him sign them. No matter what the President does the media and the left are going to criticize him. Personally I think the man is doing a great job. Thank you Mr. President.

14. Rebecca Holstine

March 11, 2019 at 1:02 am

Actually, I don’t think it was any one’s business what he signed. Because he signed what people ask him to sign. It is between them and him. Any one bitching about it, needs to get a hobby. They are nothing but nosey parkers that should keep that nose out of other people’s business.