President Donald Trump said Friday morning that his 2016 presidential campaign was “conclusively spied on.”

“Nothing like this has ever happened in American Politics,” the president tweeted. Trump also insinuated that the court-ordered FBI surveillance of his campaign was treason and could result in “long jail sentences” for those responsible.

“A really bad situation,”Trump wrote. “TREASON means long jail sentences, and this was TREASON!”

Trump’s tweet came amid Attorney General William Barr’s investigation into FBI surveillance during the 2016 election cycle.

Barr told Fox News in an interview that was set to air Friday that he’s attempting to determine whether government officials “abused their power” by investigating alleged collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.

The attorney general explained that he was not satisfied with the answers he’s received thus far regarding the FBI’s investigation.

“I’ve been trying to get answers to the questions and I’ve found that a lot of the answers have been inadequate and some of the explanations I’ve gotten don’t hang together, in a sense I have more questions today than when I first started,” Barr told host “America’s Newsroom” host Bill Hemmer.

When asked why getting to the bottom of what happened matters, Barr said it was important for the American people to know “what the government was doing during that period.”

“If we’re worried about foreign influence, for the very same reason we should be worried about whether government officials abuse their power and put their thumb on the scale,” Barr added.

“I’m not saying that happened but it’s something we have to look at.”

Barr has previously said he thinks “spying did occur” on the Trump campaign, according to the Washington Examiner.

The FBI was trying to see if there were links between the Trump campaign and Russia, though special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe concluded there was no collusion.

On Monday, news broke that Barr had appointed a John Durham, a U.S. attorney in Connecticut, to investigate “the origins of the Russia investigation,” according to The New York Times.

Trump praised Barr’s decision to appoint Durham, but said he did not ask him to do so.

“I think it’s a great thing that he did it. I saw it last night. And they want to look at how that whole hoax got started,” Trump told reporters on Tuesday, according to The Hill.

“I am so proud of our attorney general that he is looking into it,” he added. Conservatives also applauded the move.

“I view this as something we’ve been asking for and that the attorney general is now going to do it,” GOP Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio told The Hill.

1. yankeeyob

May 17, 2019 at 11:47 pm

The Democrats are going to jump on this one too. No, it was not “treason.” It was just everyday duplicity, with a little treachery and perfidy tossed in for good measure

• Nick Byrne

May 18, 2019 at 12:48 pm

The Dems are saying: “Well, who are you going to believe, us or your lying eyes?” Duh!!!!

2. Daniel Brofford

May 18, 2019 at 1:16 am

I am so glad Sessions is gone and we have a real law enforcement guy in the office. He is investigating so I’m sure now people are going to jail. I know that people in congress and the FBI & DOJ committed treason and I think some of them should get the death penalty. If they don’t get the death penalty then I hope their prison sentence is long enough that they die in prison.

• Nick Byrne

May 18, 2019 at 12:49 pm

10-4!!!!!!

3. Michael

May 18, 2019 at 1:20 am

Punish all and everyone involved from the Clintons to Obama to all their cronies and the deep state. Punish them to the fullest extent of the law and show not one sliver of mercy. An example must be made, and this corruption must be stopped once and for all.

4. errollus

May 18, 2019 at 3:54 am

Go for it, PLEASE!

5. mike dar

May 18, 2019 at 4:33 am

People that actually made calls, pushed buttons, carried messages.. should start leaving the country soon if not already gone.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don’t do anything about it. Albert Einstein

6. JerryV

May 18, 2019 at 9:10 am

I have a feeling James Comey is hiding under his desk right about now.

7. Joseph Kempski

May 18, 2019 at 9:30 am

Didn’t Nixon do the same thing, he resigned from the presidency. Why are these assholes still in congress. Whats good for Nixon is good for these assholes

8. Evangeline

May 18, 2019 at 5:38 pm

Nixon should have gone to jail. This time people will. This was far worse.

9. sms0551

May 18, 2019 at 6:36 pm

Trust and believe … Not a damn thing will happen!!!! after all, they are demoncraps !!!