Connect with us

Published

on

The Virginia government refused to cooperate with federal laws requiring the state to share immigration information with the federal government, prompting the feds to withdraw hundreds of thousands of dollars from the Old Dominion State used to fight gun crime.

The Washington Free Beacon’s Stephen Gutowski reported Thursday that memos from the Department of Justice (DOJ) show that “two anti-gun-crime grants were transferred from the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS), which had previously administered the program, in Dec. 2018.”

State officials refused to comply with federal requirements, so the federal government took back some of its funding.

“DCJS will not be able to comply with the requirements and the agency has formally declined the awards,” one of the memos said. “The grants were awarded to the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) to serve as the fiscal agent for the 2018 Project Safe Neighborhood (PSN) awards for the Eastern and Western Districts of the state of Virginia.”

As Gutowski reported, Virginia’s refusal to comply with federal requirements resulted in the state losing $665,673 in federal funding to reduce gun crimes.

“The grants are now administered through the non-profit Virginia Association of Chiefs of Police,” Gutowski reported.

A spokeswoman for Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam (D), told the Beacon that federal dollars are still working to reduce gun crime in the state.

“These federal dollars continue to flow to communities to help local law enforcement, prevention, and reentry,” the spokeswoman wrote in an email to the outlet. “This ongoing program is one way we work to reduce violent crime—the governor has made it clear he supports commonsense gun safety measures to fully address the emergency of gun violence in the Commonwealth.”

Republican Todd Gilbert, the Virginia House of Delegates majority leader, told the Beacon that Northam appears more concerned with illegal immigrants than protecting citizens.

“Attorney General [Mark] Herring and Governor Northam have said the loss of lives in Virginia to guns is an emergency, yet they’re willing to walk away from grant funding for a program that has been proven to work,” Gilbert told the outlet. “They’re willing to put politics above saving lives. These programs work. They save lives, particularly those of young, African American men.”

As Gutowski reported, the funding was for the Project Safe Neighborhood program, which has reduced gun crimes and increased the prosecution of gun-related crimes.

“A 2009 National Institute of Justice study indicated cities involved in PSN saw a 4.1 percent decline in violent crime compared to a 0.9 percent decline for cities that did not participate,” Gutowski reported. “A 2018 report issued by Virginia attorney general Mark Herring’s (D.) office found that the local programs funded by a previous PSN grant were successful at reducing both violent crime and gun crime in the city of Norfolk, where homicide fell 25 percent.”

The news of state Democrats giving up funds to fight gun crimes in favor of illegal immigrants comes shortly after a Virginia police officer was suspended for cooperating with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). The unnamed officer was getting details from drivers involved in a car accident when he or she learned one of the drivers had a warrant out for their arrest for failing to appear for a deportation hearing. The officer notified ICE and took the driver into custody before turning them over to the ICE agent. This violated police policy to only cooperate with ICE if the person is being arrested for a separate crime.

Advertisement
9 Comments
  • rcb says:

    ASSHOLES…..better get rid of dems/libs Virginia—if you don’t want to end up like californication…

  • Troy says:

    But wait…all we keep hearing from the dems is “No one is above the law”.
    liberal logic is quite confusing.

  • Linda says:

    Virginia used to be for lovers. Now, it seems to be for losers.

    • fred says:

      AND ILLEGALS

    • BWH says:

      There are too many “imports” or migrants from leftist states into Virginia. Hopefully people in areas outside the big cities will recognize this and vote in the November state elections to defeat them. If more Dems win and rule the legislature everything west of Charlottesville will be hopeless. Dems could care less about us deplorables.

  • Arrest the fn black face gubnor.

  • cathy says:

    I hope VA doesn’t depend too highly on tourism dollars.

  • fred says:

    MORE DEMOCRAT ANTI-AMERICA ACTIONS.

  • Fran says:

    Another bunch of privileged Democrats that have gotten by with corruption. What happen to the Racist Governor and the rapist Lt Governor. Oh I forgot nothing they are corrupt Democrats and are ABOVE the LAW. If they were Republicans they would both be in jail by now but it was all swept under the rug because they are Communist Democrats.

  • CF

    News

    Nikki Haley Breaks with Trump: ‘We Shouldn’t Have Followed Him, and We Shouldn’t Have Listened to Him’

    Published

    on

    Nikki Haley, former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, believes that former President Donald Trump “let us down.”

    Haley’s remarks come as the former president’s legal team prepares to present its defense of Trump during his second impeachment trial in the Senate.

    In a Politico interview published Friday, Haley, former South Carolina governor, said that “we shouldn’t have followed” Trump.

    “We need to acknowledge he let us down,” she said in an extensive profile. “He went down a path he shouldn’t have, and we shouldn’t have followed him, and we shouldn’t have listened to him. And we can’t let that ever happen again.”

    She also told the outlet that she has not spoken to Trump since the Jan. 6 riots at the U.S. Capitol, and takes issue with his remarks condemning former Vice President Mike Pence’s refusal to reject the Electoral College vote.

    “When I tell you I’m angry, it’s an understatement,” she expressed. “I am so disappointed in the fact that [despite] the loyalty and friendship he had with Mike Pence, that he would do that to him. Like, I’m disgusted by it.”

    The former ambassador, who many people are speculating may run for the White House in 2024, also added that Trump will never accept the results of the 2020 presidential election.

    “There’s nothing that you’re ever going to do that’s going to make him feel like he legitimately lost the election,” she explained. “He’s got a big bully pulpit. He should be responsible with it.”

    Haley also warned that many people still love the former president and will not stop supporting him just because he is out of office.

    “I know how much people love Donald Trump,” she admitted. “I know it. I feel it. Whether it’s an RNC room or social media or talking to donors, I can tell you that the love they have for him is still very strong. That’s not going to just fall to the wayside. Nor do I think the Republican Party is going to go back to the way it was before Donald Trump. I don’t think it should.”

    Haley added that people, instead, should “take the good that he built, leave the bad that he did, and get back to a place where we can be a good, valuable, effective party.”

    “[I]t’s bigger than the party,” she insisted. “I hope our country can come together and figure out how we pull this back.”

    Referring to Haley’s possible 2024 ambitions, Politico’s Tim Alberta wrote, “Since last fall, I’ve spent nearly six hours talking with Haley on-the-record. I’ve also spoken with nearly 70 people who know her: friends, associates, donors, staffers, former colleagues. From those conversations, two things are clear. First, Nikki Haley is going to run for president in 2024. Second, she doesn’t know which Nikki Haley will be on the ballot.”

    Haley also said that she didn’t believe Trump had a chance of winning in a 2024 election scenario.

    “I don’t think he can,” she admitted. “He’s fallen so far.”

    “I think his business is suffering at this point,” she added. “I think he’s lost any sort of political viability he was going to have. I think he’s lost his social media, which meant the world to him. I mean, I think he’s lost the things that really could have kept him moving.”

    Continue Reading

    News

    WATCH: Trump’s Defense Team Absolutely Ruins Democrats With 13 Minute Montage of “Fight” Word Like Trump Did

    Published

    on

    The Democrats demonized President Trump for using the word ‘fight’. Trump’s attorneys responded today with a collage of clips from each of the Democrats in the room using the word ‘fight’.

    This portion of today’s events on Capitol Hill was excellent. The Democrats claim that because President Trump used the word ‘fight’ in his speech on January 6th in Washington D.C. However, what every Democrat in that room forgot was that they too had used the word previously in political speech.

    The montage went on for 13 minutes. (The video montage starts at 7:10 timeframe.)

    Continue Reading

    News

    WATCH: Trump Attorneys Destroy House Managers on Lying to American Public and Using Manipulated Tweet as Evidence

    Published

    on

    President Trump’s defense team took the floor of the US Senate on Friday in defense of President Trump in the Senate impeachment trial.

    Trump Attorney David Schoen absolutely destroyed the House Managers when he took to the floor of the US Senate.

    At one point Schoen played video of the Democrat lawmakers lying about a Trump tweet.

    House Impeachment Manager Eric Swalwell gave a riveting performance on Wednesday reading off Trump’s tweets with emotional appeal.

    During this theatrical performance, Swalwell read off a Trump retweet by Jennifer Lynn Lawrence.

    But there was one problem with the tweet. It was photoshopped.

    Jennifer Lynn Lawrence has never been verified by Twitter. Democrats faked that to make it look more important.

    On Friday Trump Attorney David Schoen destroyed Democrats for lying about this to the American public.

    WATCH:

    Continue Reading

    News

    White House Suspends Deputy Press Secretary For Allegedly Sexually Harassing, Threatening Reporter

    Published

    on

    The White House announced on Friday that it was suspending Deputy Press Secretary TJ Ducklo after a report surfaced alleging that he sexually harassed and threatened a female reporter who was getting ready to publish a report revealing that he was dating a reporter who had previously been tasked with covering Democrat Joe Biden.

    “The confrontation began on Inauguration Day, January 20, after [Politico reporter Tara] Palmeri, a coauthor of Politico’s Playbook, contacted [Axios political reporter Alexi] McCammond for comment while one of her male colleagues left a message for Ducklo,” Vanity Fair reported. “Ducklo subsequently called a Playbook editor to object to the story, but was told to call the Playbook reporters with his concerns. But instead of calling the male reporter who initially contacted him, Ducklo tried to intimidate Palmeri by phone in an effort to kill the story. ‘I will destroy you,’ Ducklo told her, according to the sources, adding that he would ruin her reputation if she published it.”

    “During the off-the-record call, Ducklo made derogatory and misogynistic comments, accusing Palmeri of only reporting on his relationship—which, due to the ethics questions that factor into the relationship between a journalist and White House official, falls under the purview of her reporting beat—because she was ‘jealous’ that an unidentified man in the past had ‘wanted to f***’ McCammond ‘and not you,’” the report added. “Ducklo also accused Palmeri of being ‘jealous’ of his relationship with McCammond.”

    White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said following the report that Ducklo has been suspended for a week over the incident.

    “TJ Ducklo has apologized to the reporter, with whom he had a heated conversation about his personal life,” Psaki wrote on Twitter. “He is the first to acknowledge this is not the standard of behavior set out by the President.”

    “In addition to his initial apology, he has sent the reporter a personal note expressing his profound regret,” she continued. “With the approval of the White House Chief of Staff, he has been placed on a one-week suspension without pay. In addition, when he returns, he will no longer be assigned to work with any reporters at Politico.”

    Reporters called out the administration over the incident, highlighting how the Trump administration did not treat reporters that way as well as issues with the timeline of events with regard to the White House taking action to address the incident.

    “The Vanity Fair piece indicates that Politico editors reached to the WH after the incident first occurred and the WH acknowledged it was inappropriate,” Spectator editor Amber Athey wrote on Twitter. “But they clearly didn’t have any interest in disciplining Ducklo until his behavior was made public.”

    New York Magazine reporter Olivia Nuzzi wrote on Twitter: “I covered Donald Trump for 6 years. It is saying something that this behavior — from a Biden official — shocks me.”

    Grabien founder Tom Elliott highlighted the following remarks that Biden made a few weeks ago: “If you’re ever working with me and I hear you treat another colleague with disrespect, talk down to someone, I promise you I will fire you on the spot, on the spot. No if, ands, or buts. Everybody — everybody is entitled to be treated with decency & dignity.”

    CNN anchor Jake Tapper responded to the quote, writing: “Standards that are not upheld are not standards. They’re lies.”

    Continue Reading

    Trending Today

    >