Controversial Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) was confronted Sunday over offensive comments that dismissed the significance of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. In March, Omar characterized the nature of the attacks as “some people did something.” Those some people, of course, were Islamic extremists part of Al Qaeda.

Omar’s comments received renewed scrutiny last week after the son of a 9/11 victim declared during a Ground Zero remembrance event, “Madam, objectively speaking, we know who and what was done, there is no uncertainty about that.”

On CBS’ “Face the Nation” Sunday, host Margaret Brennan forced Omar to address the controversy.

“Do you understand why people found that offensive?” she asked Omar.

Omar did not directly respond to the question, but instead suggested that she and all American Muslims became the true victims because they were treated as a “suspect” in the aftermath of the attack.

“I mean so, 9/11 was an attack on all Americans. It was an attack on all of us. And I certainly could not understand the weight of the pain that the victims of the families of 9/11 must feel,” Omar said.

“But I think it is really important for us to make sure that we are not forgetting, right, the aftermath of what happened after 9/11. Many Americans found themselves now having their civil rights stripped from them,” she said.

“And so what I was speaking to was the fact that as a Muslim, not only was I suffering as an American who was attacked on that day, but the next day I woke up as my fellow Americans were now treating me a suspect.”

• RD says:

This scathing woman is a liar who hates America and the people of this country. The democrats are behind her and against America.

• Redeemed Democrat says:

Race card, victim card, gender card, colour card, that’s all the liberal democrats’ strong point.

• RD says:

“Somebody did something” WRONG in Minnesota by electing this nasty rodent.

• Theresa says:

All Muslims are a victim too as well because how some of you people did threat them after the Sep 11, blaming it on the whole community of them did affect them also, so you people need to try to understand them too that had nothing to do with this action.

And you people should have a go at George Bush because was him that started to say ´´These people” why do you people not say a thing about him and to him, but go on blame Omar endless for her words ´´some people did something´´ why blame and have a go at her but not at him!

And why are you people so silented about this! https://www.haaretz.com/1.5396918 5 Israelis cheering when the town went down Sep 11, is it OK as long is Israelis doing it! No one speaks of them, hmm stranges. Had it been a Muslims then you people would be talking and still talking, but no one says anything about those 5 Israelis scumsbags cheering when the town went down that day. The USS Liberty, Israelis shoot them and knew it but still keep on shooting and still America send Israel billions of dollar every year from your tax dollar that could be used to the healthcare in America, helping whole America, but no it all sent to Israel and the people there get health care in Israel for your tax money, but not your brothers and sisters in America that need it much and sending weapons to Israels too to kill Palestinians and stealing and taking their homes.

But oh well, keep let Israelis laugh at you, and keep on sending them money so they can do more crimes behind your back.

But now I am not going to be like you Americans those that do go on blame all Muslims for it, I will not blame it on all Israelis, not blaming it on whole community of them because I know not all of them are like Netanyahu and his supported and the government, and I do not blame the whole community if Americans either, because I have a friends there and family, but I blame it on the government that does it and it´s supported there, while I see many of you here in this comment go on blame all community of Muslims for the action of those in Sep 11.

• Neta says:

I believe muslims are taught to lie before they are old enough to talk.

• Pat says:

No. Not a good answer. Try again. That’s OK, you will be gone before the next election. Behind bars. Where Muslim Americans who cheat and steal from their “fellow Americans” go. My animus knows no limit with regards to your racist, arrogant elitist BS.