Conservative commentator Ben Shapiro masterfully handled a student’s claim that a first-trimester fetus isn’t human life during a Q&A session at his highly anticipated speaking event at the University of California, Berkeley.

“I just wanted to know why exactly do you think a first-trimester fetus has moral value?” the unidentified student asked.

• “A first trimester fetus has moral value because whether you consider it a potential human life or a full-on human life, it has more value than just a cluster of cells. If left to its natural processes, it will grow into a baby.”
  • “So the real question is where are you gonna draw the line? Are you gonna draw the line at the heartbeat? Because it’s very hard to draw the line at the heartbeat. There are people who are adults who are alive because of a pacemaker and they need some sort of outside force generating their heartbeat.”
  • “Are you going to do it based on brain function? OK, well what about people who are in a coma? Should we just kill them?”
  • “The problem is that whenever you draw any line other than the inception of the child, you end up drawing a false line that can be applied to people who are adults. So either human life has intrinsic value or it doesn’t.”

“We both agree that adult human life has intrinsic value — can we start from that premise?” Shapiro asked.

“I believe that sentience is what gives something moral value, not necessarily being a human alone,” the student replied. Sentience is the capacity to feel and perceive, or to reason morally.

“OK, so when you’re asleep, can I stab you?” Shapiro asked.

“I’m still considered sentient when I’m asleep,” the student said back.

“OK, if you are in a coma from which you may awake, can I stab you?” Shapiro asked again.

“Well, then, uhh, no,” the student answered. “That’s still potential sentience.”

“I agree it is potential sentience. You know what else is potential sentience? Being a fetus,” Shapiro declared to loud cheers.

In response, the student explained he believes the “burden” that “unwanted” children have on potential parents should be weighed when considering abortion policy.

“Now you’re shifting the argument,” Shapiro told him. “I don’t believe that you being a burden on somebody is justification for them killing you.”

1. Ray

April 14, 2019 at 7:06 pm

I would have paid to see Ben debate with Casio but she knows he would have chewed her up. She is dumber than a rock.

• George Boyd

April 14, 2019 at 7:58 pm

Hey, would you please lighten up on the rock, they do have some value.

2. Nee

April 14, 2019 at 7:09 pm

So glad Shapiro put that idiot in his stupid place. What a waste of human air on this ignorant student. All you freaking liberal creeps want is to have sex without any consequences. No excuse all kinds of birth control available, and there are always married couples wanting to adopt. Too bad when your mother was pregnant with you they didn’t have all this crap you libs want in place, maybe you wouldn’t be here. Disgusting.

3. PT

April 14, 2019 at 7:11 pm

BIRTH CONTROL, FOLKS. Then you won’t have to have these discussions.

• Joiy DB

April 14, 2019 at 7:25 pm

YESSS!! The responsibility for giving life begins with the two adults (or teenagers) engaging in the act of sexual intercourse. Naturally (and God made it this way), that act should be “a lot of fun,” but it also has potential life-giving responsibilities – and that, too, must be a major understanding before engaging in the act. Birth control is a relatively safe and dependable way to PREVENT unwanted births! DUH!!

• Robert Gray

April 14, 2019 at 8:26 pm

So true

4. Judy Zwyghuizen

April 14, 2019 at 7:49 pm

He is correct all the way thru I guess he covered all his aspect’s I believe these Babies are Worthy of a Chance to Live also! , if the mom doesn’t want the Child then she shouldn’t have got Pregnant in the first place , do not make an innocent Voiceless baby suffer for their want’s or dis-want’s they can leave the baby @ the Hospital’s for Adoption MURDER is never a Choice… it is down right “MURDER” and should be Punishable by Law!

5. Polly

April 14, 2019 at 9:14 pm

They are too stupid to think that having sex will result in a baby.Where are these kids parents?They must be as daft

6. MJ

April 14, 2019 at 10:16 pm

Five options for women not wanting a child: 1. Keep your legs closed. 2. Take birth control. 3. Have your tubes tied. 4. Put child up for adoption. 5. Murdering the child. The first four are within the woman’s rights for control of her body, which she says, NO ONE SHOULD TELL HER WHAT TO DO WITH HER OWN BODY. The fifth one is MURDER, which according to the laws of this country is committing a crime! What part of any or all of these options do women not understand? We put more value on animals lives than we do for human lives in this country. A baby can’t fight for it self, the decent, morally compassionate adults have to fight for them. Instead we are allowing the most indecent, uninformed, sadistic, evil nut jobs to make the rules, the decisions to end the most helpless innocent lives! We should all be ashamed!

Jeremiah 1:4-6 KJV
    [4] Then the word of the Lord came unto me, saying, [5] Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

2 Chronicles 7:14 KJV
    [14] If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

7. Stella

April 14, 2019 at 11:50 pm

I agree with all the above people. It is time to put a stop to abortion. Babies are not a foreign item but a fetus is the beginning of a baby. Why can’t people understand? Its because they don’t want too.

8. Sharon L

April 15, 2019 at 7:01 pm

If you idiot Liberals do not want unwanted pregnancies do not have sex! If you chose to have sex use a good method of birth control. I was a single unwed mother at the age of 24 and I chose life for my baby. She is now a 44 year old beautiful woman with 2 beautiful children. I have never regretted my decision but if I had an abortion it would have haunted me all of my life. Chose life!