World Series Champion Boston Red Sox Respond to Trump’s White House Invitation: ‘We’ve Accepted’
WATCH: Kamala Harris Literally Speechless When Asked About Jussie Smollett Hoax
WATCH: CBS’ Lara Logan Calls Out Media For Propaganda-Like Coverage: ‘This Interview Is Professional Suicide For Me’
WATCH: Ocasio-Cortez Doesn’t Understand Difference Between Berlin Wall, Border Wall
WATCH: Jim Acosta Suggests Trump’s ‘Creating’ Fake Crisis At Border. Trump Directs Him To ‘Angel Moms’ In Crowd.
The World Series champion Boston Red Sox have accepted President Donald Trump’s invitation to visit the White House.
The Red Sox completed one of the best seasons in recent MLB history, winning 108 games and charging to a World Series win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in five games. It was the most wins in a season, including the World Series win, since the 1998 New York Yankees.
There was some question as to whether the Sox would accept the invitation as the traditional White House visits have become politicized in recent years.
Since Trump took office in 2017, three pro teams have not made the trip to the White House — the 2017 NBA champion Golden State Warriors, the 2018 Warriors and the 2018 Super Bowl-winning Philadelphia Eagles.
Several college teams, including the 2017 North Carolina basketball team, also have passed on meeting with Trump.
Many others, however, have visited the president, including the 2017 Super Bowl-winning New England Patriots, the 2017 Stanley Cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins, the 2017 World Series champion Houston Astros and the 2018 Stanley Cup champion Washington Capitals.
Red Sox president Sam Kennedy said the players and coaches should get the recognition they deserve.
“Like in the past, it’s an invitation. It’s not a mandatory command performance,” Kennedy told The Boston Globe.
“It’s a great opportunity for the players, an invitation for the players and ownership. It’s a great opportunity for those guys to go to the White House and get the behind-the-scenes tour and get the recognition they deserve for the world championship,” he added.
Sam Kennedy on Red Sox' upcoming White House visit: "It’s a great opportunity for those guys to go to the White House and get the behind-the-scenes tour and get the recognition they deserve for the world championship.” https://t.co/Isd2gZgZG0 pic.twitter.com/sJ16Ph5VPS
— Boston.com (@BostonDotCom) December 4, 2018
Boston manager Alex Cora will be among those who will attend.
Cora had criticized Trump earlier this year, calling his comments about the death toll from Hurricane Maria in the fall of 2017 “disrespectful,” MassLive reported in September.
“I respect him. He’s the president of the United States. But I don’t agree with a lot of stuff he says about us,” Cora said at the time.
However, he told The Globe he is appreciative of the offer to attend the White House.
People mad at the Red Sox going to the White House need to grow up. Whether you respect the President or not, the ballclub is doing the classy and right thing! #redsox
— N. Face (@FacetheFacts15) December 4, 2018
“I’m going to use my platform the right way,” Cora said. “I’m not going to embarrass anybody. Actually I’m going to represent probably 4 million people from back home the right way when we go there. Yes, I will go.”
The visit will likely be in February, March or April of next year, Kennedy told The Globe.