An Indiana state senator wants high school students to pass a 100-question citizenship test to earn a diploma.

“There is a deficiency in government and civics knowledge and it’s getting worse,” Sen. Dennis Kruse, a Republican, told The Journal Gazette.

Kruse’s proposed Senate Bill 132 would require students to pass the same test administered to people who want to become U.S. citizens, starting with the 2020-21 school year.

Kruse also introduced the bill in 2015, which was defeated by the full Senate. The House also considered the plan in 2015 but did not vote on it in committee, according to the news outlet.

Former New York Congresswoman Nan Hayworth, a Republican told Fox & Friends news on Saturday that she believes the bill is a great idea.

“For the future of our great representative Democracy, the number one thing that we really need to do is have our citizens understand what the Constitution has given us,” the former Republican lawmaker said.

The Education Commission of the States has documented eight states that require students to pass a civics test to graduate, according to the report. Several other states give a civics test to high school students, but it is not a graduation requirement.

Students in states with the requirement “on average pass on the third attempt,” the report states. Kruse’s plan would allow students to take the exam up to three times from grades eight through 12.

Indiana teaches civics in the fifth, eighth, 11th and 12th grades. Students are required to have two credits of U.S. history and one credit of U.S. government to graduate from high school.

Micah Clark of the American Family Association of Indiana noted that surveys have shown some citizens cannot name the government branches and the history behind the Declaration of Independence.

“This is not a partisan issue. The test is not partisan,” he said.

Some education groups oppose the bill.

Ken Folks, chief academic officer for the Indiana Department of Education, for example, told the Gazette Journal that a new graduation pathways program is already underway and legislators have said they want less testing, not more. He also said his department has developed a civics test that will be optional for schools to administer.

1. Marion

January 14, 2019 at 3:07 am

Wonderful ! Wish all schools would require citizen test to graduate.

• Linda

January 14, 2019 at 3:09 am

I totally agree!!!

2. James Kelly

January 14, 2019 at 3:25 am

3. Rebecca Holstine

January 14, 2019 at 6:34 am

I graduated from an Indiana school in 1962, and after all the history and government classes we had to take to get our credits, I could easily passed a citizenship test. And it has stayed with me all my life. I have noticed that the young people of today have become way too ignorant about how our government runs and about the constitution. They need to know about the branches of the gov. and how they work. They need to know about the Supreme Court and how it works. We had to memorize the Preamble to the Constitution and the Gettysburg Address. It did not hurt us to learn these things. So I think this is a wonderful idea. Hope more schools follow suit.

4. FAST EDDIE

January 14, 2019 at 6:59 am

5. james gould

January 14, 2019 at 2:24 pm

If we want an educated populace, then there should be no hesitation including appropriate citizen education.

6. Donald

January 14, 2019 at 3:07 pm

Great! However, liberal democrats will not like it!!!

7. MICHAEL MCPOLAND

January 14, 2019 at 5:58 pm

“If I want to know something, I can google it or look it up. So, I don’t need to know that stuff, ya’know?” Based on that reasoning, why learn at all? When queried about something, just “look it up or ‘google it’. Life is so easy when you are clueless. I am pretty old and everything that I learned, I got from teachers and books that I have read, some two or three times and surviving. These brain dead kids walking around feeling entitled need to get a grip and experience the real world, not that shit on TV.

8. Crash

January 14, 2019 at 8:54 pm

When did this NOT become a requirement? Granted I’m old but in 1976 we all had to take and pass the Constitution test to graduate. It’s just the basics of how government works and definitely should be a requirement otherwise you end up with people like that Ocasio-Cortez woman 🙂