Meghan McCain fired back Wednesday when “The View” co-host Sunny Hostin implied that “country over party” meant voting for Democrats.

“I’m a Republican. I’m going to end up voting for the Republicans,” McCain said.

McCain began by explaining that some Democrats appear to believe that when Republicans oppose President Donald Trump’s rhetoric, they will abandon their principles in order to oppose him at the ballot box — and she argued that wasn’t the case.

She said:

The serious lesson for Democrats also is that Republicans are not going to vote against their own agenda and against their own interests, meaning I think there’s an impression sometimes if you don’t watch Fox News that all Republicans, if you’re against Trump or you have issues with his rhetoric that automatically I have somehow morphed into a liberal, that every ideology and principle I have ever agreed on, the principles that make me who I am, the conservative that I am, have flown out the window. All of a sudden I’m a Democrat. That is not the case.

Hostin responded, suggesting that a vote for conservative principles was effectively a refusal to put country over party. “It was disappointing to me … I agree that character was on the ballot and I understand that people want to vote with their party,” she said. “But I think at some point you have to put country before party and there’s been so much divisiveness in this country.”

McCain tried to explain through an example, saying, “For me, if I vote for Josh Hawley, who won against Claire McCaskill last night — a great conservative, great candidate, young guy and also a veteran by the way — if I vote for him instead of Claire Mccaskill, I’m putting my country behind my party … because Trump isn’t the entire Republican Party. We’re still here. The conservatives are still here and the Republicans.”

1. Thuy

November 9, 2018 at 3:36 am

The view very stubborn and horrible people , they just carry glass full of dirty waters,needs empty it’s

2. Dusty

November 9, 2018 at 4:31 am

Meghan has more ability to fight the nasty liberals like Whoopi , who at one time I thought could be fair, Joy who is so nasty everyday on Trump and yet at one time they loved him, until he beat Hillary. Sunny no doubt she is using race as all have now been attacked and Trump is the main reason and he is not. No one for all these years ever complained of Trump being any racist. Abby is too sweet and was a better fit for Fox then to go against these super nasty bitter women over Pres Trump. They do not know the working people out here anymore been too rich for too long. Pres Trump saw the Swamp and what happened for 30 years per lack of the jobs millions went overseas and no one stood up no one . Not even Pres Obama. He was not a ghetto poor and amazing no one hardly talked of his white side like he was always black and raised when he was not in Hawaii. So sad . I voted for him the last time. Meghan still can stand for the Conservative and get over the not very nice statement of Pres Trump who at times says things that are not always possibly what he actually meant to say and once said he cannot go back. Appears there is a top money making group that do not want to let go of the job loss or the trade deficit that has hurt us while others like China have done super well per the tariffs not fair? WHY? See the AFL-CIO head the other day with Cavuto not say he ever backed a Republican how come? Now he is telling union who many jobs have come back more to come per this President. So why are they not backing Republicans. Maybe time for a change in union leaders who are not actually working for their people?

3. Randie

November 9, 2018 at 6:55 am

My vote for conservatives is for my country, the kind a country I want to live in.
    Not only does the liberal left have a mob mentality, but I think they’re insane.
    That is the Crisis in Our Country. Their Ego’s are Dysfunctional

4. joe

November 9, 2018 at 11:00 am

Leave it to the view to talk batshit crazy.

5. mary Rettig

November 9, 2018 at 11:46 am

I dont understand how Megan can sit at that table, knowing how hateful the rest of them are. She needs to leave because you cannot change stupid.

6. abolishliberalism

November 9, 2018 at 1:53 pm

Can someone tell me why this show is even still on the air? its nothing but a bunch of mindless dem. idiots spitting out their mindless rhetoric every day! why do we give people like this a forum to spit hatred and stupidity over the tv to unwilling participants who dont know any better than to believe that if these people on TV say it, it MUST be true?
    Im not trying to be mean to their viewers at all, im just stating the fact that there are a whole lot more people out there who watch shows like this and think these hosts are somehow a lot smarter so they must know what they are talking about or that if it’s on TV it HAS to be true or else they could get into trouble for lying…like theres some magical TV regulation committee who fact check every talk show and punish the producers or stations when guests or hosts aren’t telling us the truth! You know, the same folks who just keep on falling for the scam phone calls or emails year after year no matter HOW many ads on TV try to tell them they are scams! People just dont use their heads like they should…